1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Early release to start a new job

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by optomistic1, Dec 20, 2019.

1. optomistic1

optomistic1 New commenter

I currently work at an independent school where my contract requires a term notice. I have a opportunity for a new job to start at Easter so would need to be released early from my contract in order to do this.
    Do I ask the head or governors or both?
    I dont think they would find it hard to recruit someone to replace me but they wouldn't be keen for me to go or do I just suck it up and hand my notice in at Easter without a job to go to?

2. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

There’s no problem - you are able to give a term’s notice. Write a formal letter of resignation, addressed to the Head, saying that you wish to give notice to leave your post at the school on (give the last day of the Easter holidays - then there shouldn’t be a break in your salary). Thank the Head for the opportunities you’ve had while working at the school and finish on a pleasant note, wishing the school well for the future. Sign it. Make sure it is dated no later than the first day of term. Make an appointment to see the Head on the first day of term and hand the letter to them personally. Follow up with an email, perhaps on the pretext of thanking them for seeing you - but something which gives additional proof that you handed your resignation letter in on the first day of term. Then you will have given a term’s notice.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. optomistic1

Sorry I wasn't clear. My contract states that notice must be given on the last day of the previous term ie notice given last day of Christmas term to leave at Easter
    Thank you for the advice though

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Clutching at straws, but is there any chance that your school uses the Burgundy Book definitions of terms (I appreciate that it does not follow it on other things) in which the term finishes on 31 December? But in any case, there is no reason why you can't ask.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Now that would be an interesting argument...
    We have the same clause (also independent school) and it taken to mean the day term finishes, but I don't think it is formally defined anywhere.

steely1 likes this.
  6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Then date your letter last day of autumn term, and put on secretary's desk crack of dawn when you first go into school...

My feel is that the school is unlikely to hassle you over this, because other staff will be unhappy.

By the way, I have a large section of the book "What they didn't teach me on my PGCE", where I give an example letter for resigning.

No, I don't earn any money at all from the sales!

Best wishes

7. optomistic1

Thanks Theo
    I'll look at the letters! But the thing is that if I dont get this job and I've handed my notice in I'm unemployed from Easter!

8. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Don’t hand your notice in if you haven’t actually been offered and formally accepted a new post!
    If you have applied for the new job then presumably you asked your Head if you could put them as your referee? So they already know you’re applying for another job.
    If you haven’t applied yet, you’ll need to ask your Head to be a referee.
    If you’re not successful, that’s the end of the story.
    If you are, then that is the time to go and see your Head, explain the situation and have a conversation about the best way forward. Some Heads/schools may take a hard line on resignation dates, others may be more lenient or understanding. It may depend on how easy it is to find a solution/replacement.