1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Early release from contract or fail NQT term

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by fifii2015, Dec 10, 2015.

1. fifii2015

fifii2015 New commenter

Long story short like many others out there I've had a bad a term. Lack of support, extremely heavy workload, unsupportive support plan, stressed and feel bullied.

Apologies if this doesn't make sense but I'm writing this in a frazzled rush and after a night of no sleep.

I started my first teaching post in September which is only fixed term until December 31st. Before half term I was given a support plan after a bad observation. A few weeks into this support plan I felt that I still wasn't receiving the necessary support for an NQT and after a really tough 3 months of crying every night and all day Sunday I went to the Doctors and they signed me off with stress.

My sick note would take me to the end of the term (also the end of my contract). Since then the HT and my NQT mentor have been in contact with me to tell me that as there was a support plan in place and due to my absence I have not been able to show improvement that in my end of term report I will be put as not meeting the required standards. Obviously then this would go on to my prospective employment as I have not yet secured a job for January.

They said that my other option would be to get early release from my contract and that way they will not have to write the NQT report and therefore giving me a clean slate to start over in another job (if I can ever face teaching again).

Obviously the term is coming to an end next week so I need to make my decision fast. My biggest concern is will it look bad/ suspicious to future employers that I have been released, just over a week before the end of term?

I am hoping to do supply in January to get more experience and to hopefully build my confidence back up in my ability to teach. So my other question is will I have any trouble getting supply work?

Thank you for reading this and I look forward to your comments.

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Is there any way you can contact your university mentor to discuss your options? I'm sure they will have experience in the problems that NQTs might face in their first year and so may be in a good position to offer advice.

Supply work seems to be variable in different parts of the country so it's hard to say whether or not supply would be available to you - it depends very much on demand.

I do hope that you feel better soon.

3. alexdoncaster

alexdoncaster New commenter

Sorry to hear about this awful situation.

Whether or not you'd get much supply work depends how much work there is in your area. Agencies will ask for references from your past employer, but it many cases they are just desperate to get as many qualified teachers on their books as they can. Be upfront and honest when approaching agencies as they do take factors like this into consideration when placing you in schools.

Whatever you decide to do remember it's only a job and your life and health are far more important. Perhaps now is a good time to reflect whether you want to devote the rest of your life to teaching. Look after your health and get some rest!

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Talk to your union, and the LA NQT person, if those still exist.
    I thought that if people were ill for a substantial part of their NQT time, the period got extended. It might be that they do not need to write the end of first term report as you have not been able to complete enough of the term.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, I had that thought in my mind too, but I am no expert on NQT induction arrangements. But if so, then the school can keep you on until 31 December but not do a report as you haven't been there for the whole term.

So talk to somebody who is an expert: your Uni Tutor, the NQT person in the Local Authority. And try posting on the NQT Forum here for help.

I am sorry that things have not been working out well for you;becoming ill through your workplace at the beginning of your career is not a good start for you.

Do make sure that you listen to your GP and take good care of your health.

Best wishes

6. grussell1

grussell1 New commenter

Don't let yourself down, you're doing great.

Being an NQT is difficult and a challenge in itself, let alone combined with the stress of being a teacher.

You're human, you taught the children and I am sure you did a great job.

Unfortunately, the pressure that Ofsted/DFE place on schools and academies now is tremendous, and unfortunately that drips down to those doing the job, us.

Chin up, do what you think is best.