1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Early release from contract in indy school

Discussion in 'Independent' started by optomistic1, Dec 20, 2019.

1. optomistic1

optomistic1 New commenter

I currently work at an independent school where my contract requires a term notice. I have a opportunity for a new job to start at Easter so would need to be released early from my contract in order to do this.
    Do I ask the head or governors or both?
    I dont think they would find it hard to recruit someone to replace me but they wouldn't be keen for me to go or do I just suck it up and hand my notice in at Easter without a job to go to?

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

You have - just - a term. Go and speak with your HT (even if the school is already on holiday) and explain.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Depends on your contract.
    Mine says to resign on or before the first day of term. A friend's says to resign on or before the last day of the preceding term.

You probably don't need to be released early if the new job has been agreed. Just hand your notice in via email now. However, if the application is in the early stages, then you may need to decide how likely it is you'd be successful.

4. SayItLikeItIs

SayItLikeItIs Occasional commenter

Do be careful - once or twice on applying for other posts I have thought the job was in the bag but ultimately school preferred another candidate.

But from what I have seen when working in a school, schools will wait a period for a preferred candidate. So I would suggest that you go ahead with the application. If you are successful but your present school will not release you, the new school might be willing to wait for you. I think just be up front with everyone.

5. optomistic1

optomistic1 New commenter

Thanks all!
    I got the job and have been released early so all good!Going from teaching 10 to 30 will be a shock but I'm ready for the challenge

cathr likes this.