1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Early Primary teachers, how long do you spend planning and marking in a typical week?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by peaches167, Mar 29, 2012.

1. I'm currently doing a degree in English literature and am extremely enthusiastic and passionate about pursuing early primary teaching.

I just couldn't find much information about this topic in particular. I'm very aware teaching is not an 8-3 job, but I wanted an insight into the planning and marking side of teaching.

Thanks very much for any help.

2. I don't do any marking as such as the children don't write pages and pages of work, at the most I will get a sentence, maybe 2 and that is off my top ability.
    I spend my PPA afternoon (which runs into my evening) planning, so maybe 5 hours and then a few weekends every term are spent adding evidence to the Learning Journeys and putting data onto the e-profile once a term which takes time.
    I also bring stuff home to prepare, laminating, cutting out etc but that tends to be at the start of each topic.
    I pretty much live and breathe it to be honest, the job is never far from from my thoughts
    Lou

3. Could not have said it better!

4. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

A 'ditto' from me

5. It's a brilliant job if you're really keen to do it and the rewards are easy to find.
    But it is flippin' hard work and I think it would be a terrible job if it wasn't 100% what you wanted to do.

6. choralsongster

choralsongster New commenter

Agree. I am usually at school from 7am (as the kids start for assembly at 8), then go most days at 4pm, 5pm for staff meetings.
    I do though take a lot of work home, so usually work 60+ hours a week.
    Love the job, but it is knackering, and you need to be passionate about the change you can make for a child's future.
    Good luck xx