1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Early phonics test

Discussion in 'Primary' started by emma6666, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Wondering if anyone can help, I am doing a presentation on the year 1 phonics testing starting next year but finding it hard to find any positive, valid opinions 'for' this testing. Everything i've read is so against this. Any help would be great, Thanks

2. Wondering if anyone can help, I am doing a presentation on the year 1 phonics testing starting next year but finding it hard to find any positive, valid opinions 'for' this testing. Everything i've read is so against this. Any help would be great, Thanks

3. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Well it sounds OK to me. Maybe PM Msz, Maizie, Debbie Hep, SusanG to get the pro phonics test low-down. Try the RRF website too?
    It sounds a very simple test. It will just take a few minutes per child to test them according to stuff they should have covered in year 1 anyway - up to and including phase 5 letters and sounds. I perosnally don't see the big deal. Some schools really don't need it, but never mind, those that are not really doing synthetic phonics fast enough, or at all, will struggle. Children who can read well will should find it easy, those who have reached the point in phonics they should have done will find it straightforward, and the ones that struggle will be identified for extra help.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I'm not sure where I stand about the test. Teachers should be testing children's phonic knowledge as a matter of course so they know what they need to teach next or repeat. If they aren't then I can see why the government feel the need to ensure they do ... it's what the government plan to do with the data I'm suspicious about