1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Early Phonics Support

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by notinenglandanymore, Apr 2, 2019.

1. notinenglandanymore

notinenglandanymore New commenter

Hi there,

I have a very small (8 children) mixed FS1 and FS2 class. One boy in FS2 is really struggling with phonics. The other two children in FS2 are able to blend and segment words for which they’ve learned the GPCs. They can read books within their phonic knowledge (halfway through phase 3) and understand what they have read. I would say that they are both working at an expected level. It’s worth noting that our school year starts in January so we’re coming up to the end of the first term.

This boy can recall the sounds made by s, a, t, p, i, m - but not consistently. He can’t blend but can find items or pictures to match words that I sound talk. He can’t identify initial sounds or rhyme either.

At the moment, he joins the other FS2 children for phonics, then has a 1:1 session with me which is usually a game to practise identifying phonemes or graphemes, or a soundtalk activity.
    He’s been doing similar activities for the best part of a term and is making a little progress but I feel like there might be more I can try.

So, does anyone have suggestions of activities, techniques etc to support a child who is struggling to recall GPCs consistently and whois not able to blend?

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Don't worry about the graphemes for now. If he's struggling to hear sounds in words, it will be more difficult for him to link the letter to its sounds, because he's not really clear about what the sound is. Once it 'clicks' for him with hearing sounds, he should find it much easier to recognise the letters.

For now, keep working with him 1:1 to help him develop his phonics at his own pace. There are lots of ideas in Phase 1 of Letters and Sounds - particularly those relating to aspects 4-7 - which will be useful for him. You may have a few FS1 children who would enjoy these too, and if so, it doesn't always need to be 1:1 work; his younger friends could be included too. Try sorting things by initial sound, but without involving the grapheme: take a couple of sounds to start with, ones that are very different eg. s and d, and really emphasise the initial sounds as you sort (and the child should repeat too; feeling his own mouth saying ssssnake, ssssock, sssspade might help him to gain awareness of different sounds).

3. notinenglandanymore

notinenglandanymore New commenter

Thank you for your reply! Really helpful ideas!