1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Early morning waiting

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Lucilla90, Jan 18, 2018.

1. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

I'm at the same school for 2 weeks, so I'm well planned and prepared. The school's only 5 minutes down the road as well, so this morning, I didn't set out for work until 8.15...didn't get out of bed until 7.30. ;)

pepper5 and BetterNow like this.
  2. sgnqt17

sgnqt17 New commenter

I have been with one agency since July 2017 and have yet to receive work from them, but they tell me I have to be up and ready every single day ready for calls at 7am. It doesn’t seem right when they haven’t given me any work since I signed up!

EssieP and BetterNow like this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

pepper5 likes this.
  4. sgnqt17

sgnqt17 New commenter

I have, 3 in total - just didn’t include that in my previous post. All seem to be the same though.

EssieP likes this.
  5. Lucilla90

Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

There have been other posts about agencies putting people “on standby” for certain days. They can’t really make you do that. We’re effectively on a zero hours contract with no particular obligations either side, the way I see it.

I have agreed to day-to-day due to just starting out, so I do get up and ready just because it takes me ages to get sorted out in the morning. But the agency can’t make you do that. Another agency,which I have joined, likes people to email in each day to say when they’re available. It’s easier to just say I am available any time, unless pre-booked.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I now ask my agency only to call if the school is within 10 miles and to do so before 7:30.

The worst thing is when you are trying to help and take a position at a school over 30 mins drive away at, say 8 or 8:15....as I did.

I then get to a school in as good as lockdown due to safeguarding procedures and cannot get anyone on the intercoms to let me in.

Eventually they do.

Then the car park is full. No space at all.

No choice than to go out, find a side street and run back.

Locked out again, no-one answering the intercom.

Finally in and the staff 'holding' the class give you daggers as they feel YOU are late and YOU are the reason for the disruptive morning.

Yeesh, never again.:confused:

7. sgnqt17

sgnqt17 New commenter

I have had a situation like this. One of the agencies rang me at 8:25 last week asking if I was free to work in a school 22 miles from where I live. I said I was available to do the work, but I wouldn’t be able to get there for 9am (it’s over an hours drive), so they gave the job to someone else.

This has happened a few times now, ringing at 8:25 asking me to go to that same area - they know I can’t get there for 9am so I feel like they are just wasting their time calling!

dumpty likes this.
  8. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

Up at 6.50, press snooze.

Then up at 7am, ITV on and start recording it to watch it later. Then it i usually a cup of English Tea then get washed and brushed and dressed ready for a call anytime from 7.15am onwards.... Then the google map goes on and I am usually drinking the tea followed by a coffee while watching TV waiting for the call...

If I don't get a call by 8 am I know that I am probably not going to be working and have my "alternative" day planned. This could be a spa day or staying at home doing laundry and tidying while watching TV.

9. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

I used to make packed lunch the night before. Got up at 6.15ish, had breakfast and then got washed and dressed in school clothes for 7ish. Then, made another cup of tea, put frasier on and waited for the call. If I got the call, I would grab my packed lunch and bag and set off. If I hadn't had a call by 8, I usually changed into my at home clothes and, I am ashamed to say, generally napped on the sofa for a couple of hours before getting on with some jobs. I don't miss it at all. Coped well to begin with but after about a year, I began to feel massively anxious about waiting for the call regardless of how much I enjoyed the work itself.

pepper5 likes this.
  10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'll never miss waiting for that call.....never.

BetterNow, pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Next week, I am back to the morning call routine. I put on makeup in the morning and it is a bit of a time wasting exercise if I don't get a call, but I can't wait and do the makeup after I get a call as there wouldn't be time. Such is the struggles of supply.

peakster and Lara mfl 05 like this.