1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Early Morning Calls?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by BertieBassett2, Apr 30, 2019.

1. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

I know this is a 'dilemma' many of you would welcome, but despite repeatedly telling my agency that I don't want early morning calls, I still get them. Yesterday, the phone rang three times but I didn't answer as it wastes everyone's time. Also, they know I don't do Mondays, so two of my 'conditions' disregarded. I am extremely fussy and probably not an easy worker to place, but why are they so good at offering me work I don't want?! I have been with this agency for 8 years now (think customs/etiquette) and they have generally kept me busy, but the work I want is petering out. Oh well - not the end of the world, but just another post to illustrate the bizarre nature of being a Supply teacher.

2. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

With many agencies, what you tell them goes in one ear and out of the other. Consultants adopt a 'Hail Mary' approach, and phone teachers indiscriminately until one of them bites, thus you get calls after 8 a m asking if you can get to a school forty miles away by 8:45.

3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

"Are you sending a helicopter?"

4. skye78

skye78 New commenter

Ah yes, I too have experienced this. Then they act surprised when you say the 1 hour drive is impossible given the fact the first lesson starts in 10 minutes.

I have just ditched one of my agencies. They promised me daily work in advance without fail. Nothing. Then when I told them I had an interview one day so I was unavailable for work, surprise surprise they offered me work that day. When I reminded them about my interview, they told me that because I had turned down work on that day, they wouldn't offer me work as regularly as other teachers on their books!

Expecting a reaction from me, they got one. I instantly told them to take me off their books and hung up.

Yet more proof we are just a number to them, numbers that come in handy to make them money.

I despise agencies.

5. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

I had one the other day, which was teaching at a school in special measures and could have been to the summer, but it is an hour to and hour and 15 minute drive, the agency said google says just 45 minutes, but sadly I drive a car and know he route. I turned it down because do I need to a 2 hour drive everyday and teach in a school that is in special measures with the issues that brings, besides the pay was not that good.

6. BertieBassett2

So, another call this morning at 7:10! I contemplated phoning back to remind them of my 'no early morning calls' request, but couldn't be bothered. If I continue to get them I might have to bite the bullet and insist they don't phone me then!

FrauRussell likes this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You're lucky to get the calls - lots of other do not.

Personally I never liked the morning call - the tension ofv waiting for it was awful.

I got a longer term post as soon as possible - at least you know where you are going.

pepper5 likes this.
  8. BertieBassett2

@peakster, that's precisely why I won't entertain them! I hope that on both occasions the agency found someone who wanted the work.

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  9. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I have just resigned from my second agency yet three times this week they have called me and left a message wanting to check my availability. I’m just ignoring them now.

pepper5 and FrauRussell like this.
  10. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

I have a long term, part time post which I work Wed, Thurs, Fri. I am available Monday for early morning calls but I take Tuesday off to chill and prepare for the days of work ahead. I still get calls on the Tuesday, but I don’t answer them.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. BertieBassett2

Having in my original post complained about the early morning calls, I received a call this afternoon offering me 5 days' work at my favourite school - from next Thursday to the following Wednesday. I can't do the Thursday but my consultant negotiated with the head for me to do the other days (they ideally wanted the same person for all 5 days.) More days than I need (3 in a row -eeek!) but it really is a lovely school and will be £400 or so which will be very handy! Such is life as a (fussy/awkward) supply teacher!

agathamorse likes this.
  12. BertieBassett2

Oh well - the best laid plans.... Ignore my last post as the agency rang to say the school wanted consistency and are going to cover those five days internally. Just as I was mentally spending the £400 - never mind, maybe I'll get one or two days somewhere else. (I wasn't really looking forward to 3 straight days in a row - it would be exhausting for this 60 year old!)

agathamorse and FrauRussell like this.
  13. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Occasional commenter

I was never very fond of those early morning calls, but liked even less the ones that came through at 8.30 - 8.45 expecting me to be there for 9.00 when it was a good 40 minute drive away on a good day!! I'm sure they thought distance was as the crow flies....

agathamorse and BertieBassett2 like this.
  14. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Consultants will lie about times to get to schools and distances. They are hoping you are desperate enough to travel.

My motto was No Guaranteed Time of Arrival - I would go but not promise any time to be there as you cant predict travel times/ congested traffic/accidents etc.

15. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Occasional commenter

I did that once, Pepper, and they docked my pay!

agathamorse likes this.
  16. Jolly_Roger15

Grievously annoying is to have busted a gut to get to a school, in response to an morning call, only to get waived off when you are nearly there, or even once you have arrived. Another nasty is for the school only to sign your time sheet for the afternoon session, as you arrived at ten past nine.

FrauRussell likes this.
  17. pwtin

pwtin Senior commenter

Jolly_R I would not have stood for that. I recently rocked up at 11 am as it was a really late call and got paid for the full day. I always tell the agency I will get there as soon as I can depending on the traffic and I always check I will be paid for the full day before I leave.
    I take early calls, however in reality I am never ready for a 7 am call. I prefer a call just after 9 am which means the worst of the rush hour traffic has died down. The other day I left at 8.30 am and was sat in traffic for 25 minutes trying to go less than a mile to the motorway. I may as well have sat at home having a cup of tea and waited until 9 am as I would have arrived at the same time.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. Jolly_Roger15

Some agencies try and pull the old 'bait and switch' scam on teachers. Variants of this are being tempted by a stint at 'Leafy Lanes' High School, only to be told, when you are already on your way, that the job is 'being covered internally' but, fortunately, the nearby 'Sheet Bag Academy' requires a teacher. Another is being told, again after you have already started on your journey, that the school no longer needs a teacher for the day but could still use a cover supervisor. Choking back theirs sob, your consultant breaks the news that this will mean you will get less than half the rate of pay that they originally agreed with you.

Iulbahar and agathamorse like this.
  19. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Same here. I got a phone call at 8:45am last week and headed off soon afterwards. I arrived at 9:40 am and I was paid for the full day.

BetterNow and agathamorse like this.