1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Early Menopause...?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by bed, May 22, 2011.

1. bed

bed New commenter

Right then - best place to ask cos no-one knows me anad I'm terribly squeamish about going to GP with this sort of stuff.....
    Periods have always been a bit early and long lasting - 24-25 days between and lasting 6-8 days ... often heavy
    But recently they've been even less predictable and now it's getting on for 7 weeks since last one.
    No discomfort - and no PMS either - to which I and anyone within a 12 mile radius has been subject - feel really rather fine.
    Still get mood swings - but more to do with circumstance and an underlyingtendency to depression.
    So ... could this be the beginning of The End?
    Feel a bit sad if it is
    Is there any truth in the idea that one tube has run out and so I skip a period now and again?
    Any advice welcomed - apart from "see your GP"
    Don't want to!!
    if I can possibly help it!

bed

2. bed

bed New commenter

...and I'm 43 in a couple of weeks.
    No sign of natural early menopause in family (that I know of)

hmmm

will I grow a beard?
    hope not

3. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I think it's normal to have these changes in cycle for a long time before the start of The Change proper.
    There are other possibilities - any chance you could be pregnant, for example?

4. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

It doesn't work like that - the cycle is controlled 'centrally'.

5. ...by London Underground...

6. Ask your GP for a blood test. Simples.

7. Dont want to worry you but my menopause started like this. Periods got bit erratic and further apart (lighter too). Every now and again I'd miss a couple of months then they'd come back again. I did go to the docs when I was about 42, as I was a bit suspicious; I'd been having some "flushes" too - my blood test came back normal and the doctor reassured me everything was ok and I was "too young" to be having menopausal symptoms. But by the time I was 45 my periods had stopped altogether. I'm now 48 and havent had a period for 3 years. Still getting hot flushes. [​IMG]

8. Nah, but your skin will become dry.
    I WOULD see your GP...because you'll be able to have tests to see if that's the cause of lack of periods. (Blood tests..no poking around.) Just be aware that you might have a flood in the months to come...and that can be frightening and will need checking up on. I'd go for the tests now and you'll know where you stand.
    I had an early menopause (41) and am fine 10+ yrs later. In the years before I'd been as regular as clockwork but got pmt symptoms. No HRT, nothing. No beard or deep voice. [​IMG] (I was put on HRT and it made me feel worse...I believe in nature taking it's course, especially when it prolonged my periods and made me feel bloated, moody and tender. No thanks! I'll pass. Why would I want to continue with that?)

9. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

If you don't want to visit the doc, £9 will buy you a urine test off Amazon which can tell you what's going on - it's called Suresign Menopause test kit.

10. I know you don't want to hear it - but you have to go to your doc.
    I have been perimenopausal since I was 37.
    No - you will not grow a beard.
    At least, I don't have one yet.

11. Oh, and I am almost 43 now.
    So the real menopause when I finally get there will be a right bag of fun. I have spent 5 years being *** perimenopausal already.

12. Sorry dear, you do have to see the GP.
    It might be peri-menopause. But there are half a dozen other things it could be. The most common cause of hormone/reproductive shenanigans is some other hormonal issue underlying it. Underactive thyroid would be the usual culprit in this case. (Especially considering the history you give of heavy periods with bonus PMT.)
    A simple blood test.
    (Worth doing anyway for a baseline reading against any future testing.)

13. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

I have been going through the menopause for a year. I am late 20's so be glad you aren't going through it as young as some do.
    Go to the docs. You might need HRT.

14. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

I had no sympoms at all - no hot flushes etc. Don't take any notice of anyone who says it's terrible. Everything about it's good especially not having periods any more.
    I just started missing months like first one month then 3 then 2 then 4 and so on 'till I never had another period again. What a cause for celebration.
    Do loads of exercise, eat plenty of vege and keep your weight down and you'll look at least 10 years younger.
    Don't go near HRT. What is the point? It's for pill junkies.

15. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

I had my final period at 45

16. Sounds very much like how I started. I was 43/4 too. All done now at 46 - no period for 18 months, but like Mrs Mo - still have the odd hot flush. All just a big relief to me thats its all over.

17. May I take this opportunity to point out that the effects, their duration and your response to them are highly individual and another person's experience bears no relation to yours except for purposes of solidarity and sympathy.
    If you have menopausal symptoms, see your GP and ask for a blood test. Proceed from there.

18. For some people life after the menopause is a cause for celebration but others DO suffer in many ways. Like Lily says, the chances are all of us who have been through the menopause will have different stories to tell. I think I got off lightly although the months running up to the 'end' were frightening and I needed hospital tests and treatments.
    My poor MIL used to wake up every single night with her night clothes drenches with sweat...she couldn't have covers on the bed, even in winter.....She went through that for over a year. Even now I get 'hot flushes' - nothing like what some suffer - more sudden face flushing and neck and chest reddening. I can cope with that and on the whole life is simpler now and I save a fortune in sanitary products. [​IMG]
    (I have yet to move up to Tena Lady. I guess that's the next exciting bit for us 'dried up old prunes'. <~~ I say that with a smile as I feel quite vital still and nothing like a dried up old bag past her best, as many post-menopausal women are portrayed.
    Sadly, that is not a given. Slim, exercising, veg-eaters don't always look young in middle age. I am a fat, veg-eating, active person who hates exercise but I have a fairly youthful face. (At the moment!)

19. Just upping this, I know this probably sounds niave, but, why do we have to go to the doctors for a blood test?
    Thanks [​IMG]