1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Early finish as part of flexible work request

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by gorgeoustasha, Mar 7, 2017.

1. gorgeoustasha

gorgeoustasha New commenter

hi - does anyone know if I am able to request an early finish once a week as part of a flexible working request?
    Currently part time, looking at switching back to full time but want to be able to leave at 3pm once a week to collect my own children from school.
    Thanks

Tinycat1234 likes this.
  2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You can ask, but they can say no if they've got a sound business reason. Work out the possible objections, and propose solutions. If secondary, it's probably just a matter of ensuring that one of your non-contacts is last lesson. In primary, leaving early on your PPA afternoon would probably not be an unreasonable request.

What the flexible working rules don't entitle you to do is to increase your hours, I believe. Your head might be amenable to the idea, but you don't have the same right to that being considered as for reduction in hours. You can only switch to full-time if there's the work available - and while some heads might give you first refusal if they need more hours, others might insist on advertising any available full-time post and you having to apply for it.

3. gadgetgirl123

gadgetgirl123 Occasional commenter

I used to do 0.8 over 5 days, with the 5 unpaid hours either at the begining or the end of the day so I could do the school run.

(They couldn't fit my 0.8 timetable into 4 days due to a teacher shortage so were happy to negotiate...)

Could you 'cut your hours' to say 0.95 to have an early finish one day a week?

Tinycat1234 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Established commenter

Great idea.
    Depends on how flexible your head is, and whether or not they want to set a precedent. Some heads are delighted to be flexible: they retain staff and probably get over and above what they pay for. Others can just refuse... Give it a go. It's a good idea to have an informal chat first and say it's due to child care reasons. If you're good and they need you, they will probably jump at the chance as it means they don't have to advertise etc.