1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Early entry for GCSE

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by auntiemaisie, May 19, 2008.

1. auntiemaisie

auntiemaisie New commenter

If they are going on to a college, do FSMQ Add Maths. It gives a good intro to AS including some applications and does not tie students to one syllabus. If they go somewhere teaching a different board they may not be able to use their C1 result. Also the FSMQ is a complete qualification which is useful for studentswho choose not totake maths at college. C1 may be more sensible in a school where you will keep them in the sixth form.

2. I would go for the additional maths. Nice paper that covers some of the C1 topics and prepares them nicely for the sixth form. I think you'll find that a project / in depth piece is dismissive as the pupils will crave recognition ( EXAM GRADES ) rather than a nice piece of project. However, just a minor point; be carefull that your pupils are not conditioned to the gcse questions ( coaching etc ). Are you certain that everyone really understands the proof / theroems behind topics which is essential for the AS A2. I dont doubt your expertise for one minute, but I've seen A* candidates fail miserably at AS level because they cannot cope with the understanding involved.

3. gravell

gravell New commenter

I would agree with additional maths. Makes the transition from GCSE to A'level a lot easier.

4. Another for FSMQ Maths - it's a really nice course that covers lots of bits of C1, M1, D1 etc.

We are a 11-16 school and the 3 main local sixth forms do the IB, OCR A level and EdExcel A level so that ruled out any attempt to start AS early!

As an aside has anyone a decent target grade predictor for FSMQ Ad Maths? We are meant to generate a target grade for all students in all courses - for GCSE it's a piece of cake - pretty much statistical with the teacher checking that it is sensible.

We are struggling a bit for FSMQ - the year 9 'SATs' do not seem to give anything like decent correlation to FSMQ results and neither do GCSE modules results. Even the full GCSE result (in marks out of 600) does not give good correlation. We have students with A at GCSE getting A at FSMQ whilst others get an A* at GCSE but a D at FSMQ. They are very different beasts.

5. To those who have suggested FSMQ, do you also teach A Level in your school & what proportion of your Y12 students have done it?
    We are considering this but I am concerned about teaching classes where half have covered a lot of the AS material in the FSMQ & the other half haven't.
    We would not be able to teach them in seperate classes due to timetabling issues.
    How does it work in your school?

6. Oh and we let the students do their GCSE at the end of year 11 too - that way we do not have to waste time preping them for the GCSE exams - they just waltz through it based on their prep for the FSMQ in Year 11.

Don't really see any benefit for them doing it a year early - I don't think the 'get it out of the way' arguement holds since it doesn't cause them any stress in year 11 anyway so there is nothing really to 'get out of the way' and it also means they all get the A* whereas one or two might have missed it in year 10.

7. Thi question comes up often and the answer is simple; differentiation. There is no other way around it unless you have the luxury of a handfull of part time / full time staff and a director of studies who will create the space for you. Unfortunately, The new pupils will start from scratch whilst the others extend on prior knowledge. I have a scheme of work written for the additional maths syllabus ( WJEC ) with suggested extension work and supporting worksheets. It's ideal for pupils who have started early ( just like you queried ) I am quite happy to share these, but not until Thursday as they are on the school hardrive ( pc ). I dont get it back until Thursday morningas it is being upgraded.

8. auntiemaisie

auntiemaisie New commenter

Re post 5
    AS/A2 results are predicted from average GCSE scores and give the same diverse results - possibly connected with the comments in post 3. Of course in year 11 you can't have average GCSE results so no use to you anyway!

One of my certain grade U's this year got A* last year - she openly admits she does no homework because she's never had to work at maths before!

9. HB1

HB1

Thank you - the replies are all very useful. We are only doing early entry with a handful of exceptional students this year (things might change next year - but that won't be my problem).

I think FSMQ is the way to go. Thanks again.

10. HB1

Why would you enter them for the IGCSE? This is just a standard GCSE paper. I would look at just stretching the most able by going in depth on the topics you teach. I believe that you can do too much maths with them and put them off for life. IMHO.

11. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

I am in my second year as a Head of Maths in a small comprehensive, 11-16.

I am phasing out the 'fast-track' early entry because they were getting A's and B's at the end of Year 10 and then not all were interested in doing any more maths.

We did the FSMQ after GCSE but like I said some were not interested/found it too hard....

It is good for the most able, top 3 or 4% of pupils and is a good bridge to A'level. I am going to teach some of the FSMQ content to current Year 9's but probably not enter them, hopefully then I'll get more A's or A*.

12. HB1

HB1

The IGCSE was just a thought - one that we've ruled out now.

We are trying the early entry this year with just a handful of kids who have got A*s at the end of Y10. I don't think early entry is a good idea in general, but these poor kids are so talented and there is no challenge at all in the GCSE, we wanted to give them something they can get their teeth into.

13. We are in our 4th year of acceleration and I have 32 students with just one exam left to sit. Interesting to read your thoughts - I could easily be persuaded that they would be better waiting untill Year 11 to sit their exams.

Has no one considered the aqa 'use of mathematics' AS as an alternative to the FSMQ?

14. Hello mywife...
    I would be grateful for a copy of the SOW and other docs as I am tutoring someone who might be entered for this in year 11. Thank you

mrsrobertsmaths@hotmail.co.uk

15. What about GCSE Stats?

16. Some of our students do GCSE Stats and others FSMQ - different sets obviously.

Used to be that our top 20% or so did GCSE Stats & GCSE Maths all in the regular maths time allocation. Set 2 loved it and did really well. Set 1 did really very very well but found it insufficiently challenging hence the switch to FSMQ.

17. Hi mywifethinksilove her - would it bo possible to have a copy of your additional maths SOW and resources please. mrs.harper.maths@gmail.com
    Thankyou (we are just starting additional maths for our year 11s and this would be a fantastic help)

18. We've just had candidates sitting the AQA Certificate Level 2. Good prep for AS for bright pupils.
    http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/igcse/maths.php