1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Early contract release - reference question

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by blueskies31, Sep 16, 2015.

1. blueskies31

blueskies31 Occasional commenter

Hi all,

I started a new school at the start of the term and for reasons which I can't go into here, I am currently negotiating an early contract release which the Head has agreed to do. We just have to finalise the details.

Has anyone done this and managed to secure another post?

Also, should I ask for an agreed reference before I leave? How does this work?

Thanks everyone

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

If you ask for an agreed reference future employers may ask for whether it's agreed to be declared. Some will not employ people on the basis of an agreed reference.

Is your union involved? They should be.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Talk to your union at regional level immediately.

Do NOT do this on your own.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

4. blueskies31

blueskies31 Occasional commenter

TG I spoke to my union and they were less than helpful. They said I wasn't the first and wouldn't be the last to go through this and there is no reason why it should affect me moving forward. Don't know what to do now.

5. e_rift

e_rift New commenter

If its any consolation, im in a similar situation with an completely useless union!! Still trying to figure out myself how to get around it. Have you tried your county council as a reference?

6. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

That is appalling.

The fact they say it shouldn't affect you moving forward indicates they have NO idea about how damaging this scenario can be. Some HTs specifically request if the reference is agreed. And HTs can and will pick up the phone to ask each other about things that are not on a reference.

You need to contact your Union again, and make it clear you won't be fobbed off. If the regional rep is useless, see if there is a legal team who can assist. As Theo says, you should not be doing this on your own.