1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Early childhood studies....dissertation...help!!!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Msz, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I think it has to come from you to be honest. It is important and needs to be something that really interests (excites) you.
    Could you draw up a short list of things you find interesting and discuss the way forward with your tutor?

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

Perhaps you should have a word with your tutor. S/he knows you.

3. doctorinthetardis

doctorinthetardis New commenter

I agree that you should start from your own interests; there must be aspects in your degree you have really been interested in and these will make the best beginnings for your dissertation as your passion for researching the topic will not only engage you better with the material but also show in your final product.

As some food for thought, some dissertation topics my peers and I wrote about last year included areas such as: Forest schools, inclusion and SEN in the early years, the impact of the Rose Review (somewhat irrelevant now but could be adapted to current curriculum and methodologies/ impact of changing curriculum on teachers/ schools) and looping (where teachers stay with their class for longer than the traditional single year).

Find something you are interested in and that will make the best starting block.

Good luck.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Just to clarify I wasn't suggesting writing your dissertation on your own interest /hobby (knitting, David Beckham's tattoos or ancient Mesopotamia) I meant interest relating to your study sorry if I was unclear.

5. Hi
    I have just started mine and I chose to do a topic that was relevant to my school and something I wanted to find out more about. It isn't action research in that sense but it feels much better doing a topic that I would like to be better informed about and that will hopefully improve my practice too - so much so that the head has put it in our school improvement plan. All the research is really helping me to justify the changes I would like to make so maybe go from there....
    Good luck.

6. Sorry, just realised it is your degree dissertation and mine is an MA one. Still you could think about your placements and use them for inspiration.

7. Hi, just read your post mentioning looping as a possible subject for an early years dissertation. This has really pricked my interest. Could you provide me with contact details for the person who tackled this topic please? Many thanks.