1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

‘Early Career Teacher’ definition

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lily_w, May 31, 2019.

1. lily_w

lily_w New commenter

Hi everyone,

I am currently looking at teaching vacancies and I’ve noticed that many of them state they are looking for NQTs or ‘early career teachers’. What counts as an early career teacher? Is it someone early in the main pay scale or not yet on the upper pay scale? I’m currently on MPS 5 looking to move to MPS 6. Is it worth me considering these kind of posts?

2. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

I’d hazard a guess that an advert with those specifications is driven by the school budget. It may well mean they cannot afford anyone who is more than a couple of years into their teaching career.

If you have been teaching for five or six years then I don’t think you would match this description. Surely they would advertise the post as MPS if they were willing to pay M5 or M6. However, nothing ventured, nothing gained. If the post looks very suitable and appealing there is nothing to stop you applying - and who knows, if they really, really wanted you they may be able to be sufficiently creative with the budget to afford you. But be prepared for them to reject you because you don’t match the spec - or offer you the post at a lower salary.