1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ear piercings

Discussion in 'Personal' started by missmj, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Does anyone have rook or helix piercings? I'm contemplating them but wouldn't mind an idea of how painful they are!

2. Does anyone have rook or helix piercings? I'm contemplating them but wouldn't mind an idea of how painful they are!

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

I have heard that a rook piercing is unbelievably painful.

4. Me too, I was hoping to hear 'it's not that bad' as I'm useless with pain!

5. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I have my tragus pierced and I love it x

6. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

having your rook pierced sounds like the RSPCB will be wanting to have a word

7. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Had to go and check what a "tragus" was. I had all sorts of images in my mind!

8. lurk_much, your post made me giggle!
    I have 2 tragus piercings already and didn't find them painful at all, so if it's not much worse than that I should be ok, I just hate not knowing what to expect!

9. RSPB

10. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

I have had a helix piercing since I was 14 (had to look it up - didn't actually know this was what I had!). It was a little painful when I had it done but not much. Now it is a bit painful if I have a stud in and sleep on that side. Rings are no problem though.

11. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

Do any of you teach with these piercings? I've only not gone ahead with any of those as I thought it would put employers off (not that I believe it should).

12. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I have my ear(lobes) and belly button pierced but I'm not sure where my 'rook' or 'helix' are should I wish to pierce them! [​IMG]

13. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I'd never heard of a rook piercing but having googled it it looks really pretty! I want one. But google also says it is very painful due to the amount of cartilage - so no chance as I am a complete wimp.

14. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

I do teach with mine. I was also wearing an earring in the top part of my ear when I went for interview and nothing has ever been said. My hair does cover it a lot of the time though.

15. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Just googled them.
    Eugh...no! Sorry but they look chavvy IMO.
    Before I get lambasted I will add that as a teenager back in the 1970s, when the only....ONLY,,,,,piercing one ever saw was one in the earlobe (preferably with a pearl earring!) I went into a jewellers for a second lobe piercing.
    On asking for my ear to be pierced I was met by the reply 'but your ears are already pierced'. The jeweller was amazed I wanted a second piercing and had never done one before. Even more odd is that I used to get stared at by strangers for having a second piercing.....it was simply unheard of back then!
    I still have the second piercing, but rarely if ever use it now. I prefer to wear a nice pair of diamond studs in one piercing.
    So yes, I have been radical in the world of piercing and today I also have a belly bar and two tattos, but neither can be seen unless I choose to show them.
    I guess maybe what I'm saying is aas far as visible piercings are concerned, what seems like a good idea when you are younger is something you often change your mind about when you get older! Then you take it out like I have!

16. Well, you learn something everyday... I did not know that the little hoop I wear at the top of my ear was a helix piercing! I just thought it was an earing at the top of my ear!
    I had mine done when I was 16, with an ear piercing gun. It hurt a bit at the time, and then throbbed a lot. I couldn't sleep on that side for a while. I've worn a small silver hoop in it since I could change the earing and I've never had any problems with it. I know from my nose piercing that cartlidge piercings with a needle hurt more, as they have to pierce with a needle, then put the ring or stud or bar in place. It takes a couple of seconds longer and you really feel those extra seconds!
    I do teach with it, and the other 5 holes in my lobes (2 in one ear, 3 in the other) in. I wear very small earings and usually my hair covers them anyway. I also teach with a very small silver stud in my nose, but I think that will have to be replaced with a clear one this year. I dress smartly though, which I think helps. And if SLT tells me to take them out I will. I'll also quietly grumble quite a lot, but not in front of them.

17. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

That makes me think of my tattoo. I got it around 1992 and it was considered such a naughty thing to do that I could 'flash' it (it's on my hip- no-one would have had a visible one then) to bouncers and get into clubs in Leeds where was a student for free. I also have a few extra ear piercings in my lobe and a pierced belly button (that went funny when I was pregnant so is now just a nasty scar) and funnily enough I just wear diamond studs too but in the 'second' piercing in each ear as I am so baaaad!

18. Oooh I got it wrong! It was an anti-helix piercing I was after, the bit opposite the top part of your ear. I had a helix piercing a few years ago and it hurt, so I'm guessing the anti-helix hurts even more. I have a few lobe piercings in each ear and both tragus piercings which I wear for school (navel bar too but obviously no-one sees that!) however I don't wear my nose stud for school - students are definitely not allowed to wear them and I'd feel a bit hypocritical telling students to remove them when I have one in too. Don't think HT would be too keen anyway!

19. That's why I have a clear spacer in for work. My piercings take ages to heal and are good at closing up quickly (1st nose piercing took 6 hours, navel took 1 day to start closing, after having it pierced for about 8 years), and I really want to keep this one! I only stopped wearing my clear one after the kids pointed out that Miss Z, Miss Y and Mrs X all have theirs in "so should you". Will be going back to the clear one for tomorrow.
    What do you teach missmj? My friend has quite a few ear piercings, plus a nose stud, plus she stretches her lobes slightly and wears spirals in them (I think she said they're 6mm, so it's not like she the tubes that you can see through in them). She gets away with it at school because she's an art teacher

20. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I'm past that and have changed my mind back to 'stuff it who cares'!