1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EAL

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by suffolksmiler, Apr 9, 2016.

1. suffolksmiler

suffolksmiler New commenter

Any good advice, resources, books or courses to support EAL pupils in Nursery.
    I have lots of pupils from a variety of countries, not just one, for instance Poland.

Joined a new school in September but previously not had much experience of EAL.
    I have been teaching in Early years since 1995, so I don't lack common sense but all advice welcome.

Thank you.

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

In Nursery they will pick up English very quickly when they are in an English rich environment (especially if there aren't many others who speak their language).

Encourage them to use spoken language as much as possible. Of course at first they won't have much vocabulary, but you can encourage repetition of words and phrases. Say things like, "It's an apple. Say 'apple'!" This encourages vocabulary building through active participation, rather than the child hearing a whole jumble of words he doesn't understand and switching off. If possible, try to find out how to say "Say..." in the child's language, so that the child understands what you want him to do.

Mostly they will pick up a lot of vocabulary from day to day life at school, especially if you take care to make things visual (as I'm sure you do with Nursery children anyway), lots of pointing to things when you are talking about them and emphasising the word. You could also use some sign language - it doesn't matter if you know the real signs or not; you can just make anything up as long as you are consistent - to help children catch on to key concepts. Again, the gesture draws their attention to a key word rather than letting a jumble of words drift over them.

3. Jes2706

Jes2706 New commenter

I try to get parents to give me a list of key survival words in their home language eg yes, no, water, milk, toilet, hungry, family names etc etc and put them up on a display board, the staff can use this and it's welcoming for the family if they see it too. Also find out how much English they use if any at home, do their parents need support with learning English too maybe? I recently had a Turkish family join us, they have asked we only use English with their 2 yr old, they don't want us to use any Turkish to help her, which is fine, but not always everyone's choice. Probably all pretty obvious stuff really!