1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

eal

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Crownie13, Jun 9, 2011.

1. I haven't much experience with EAL children and am in a class with a majority. Any speaking and listening advice?

2. Lots of visual prompts, signing, photos, objects, symbols, hands on work etc. Do they all speak the same language or a variety? How good is their English? Will you have any bi-lingual support?

I was in exactly the same position a few years ago- no expereince with EAL children then into a class full of them- hard work and a steep learning curve but love every minute of it!

3. They are mainly from pakistani descent, and english varies. Some confident, some silent and no bi lingual support. I am a pgce student teacher so trying to think of some good speaking and listening sessions to do with them.
    Not sure how they would respond to a story bag and talk partners.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Console yourself with the thought that much of the vocabulary you introduce at the EY stage will be new to both EAL-speaking and English-speaking children.

5. yes, very true!! Though the eal children don't always then practise english at home. I am thinking of a Handa's Surprise link hmm

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

We EY practitioners need to keep on with the vocab and grammar at school to make up for that.

7. Thankyou for the support. As ever, I am glad I posted on here...

8. Encourage the use of home language within school and at home to ensure vocab continues to grow and forge good home/school relationships so home can reinforce learning n the home language
    Smile a lot and have fun! Try and learn greetings/numbers etc in their languages
    Good luck