1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EAL teacher to Headmaster

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by sandybeach85, Jun 5, 2017.

1. sandybeach85

sandybeach85 New commenter

I am wondering if an EAL teacher could ever become a headmaster. I know EAL can be looked down on sometimes, so would this always keep an EAL teacher down? is there any point in me doing an MA if there is no real chance of moving up.

I wonder if anyone knows anyone who has done it before?

Many thanks

2. dts

dts Occasional commenter

Don't know of anyone who has done it, but the difficulty may be that there aren't many obvious intermediate steps from where you are to headship. You'll need to look for ways to get to middle leader positions and from there to more senior posts. Head of Department may not be open to you, so your best bet might be to go for pastoral roles - if you're a form tutor now, you could ask to work with a year group where you think you could have a visible impact.

3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I can think of many HTs who don't seem to know anything about teaching so the trick must be in plotting the route to middle leadership and SLT. Agree about pastoral but are there also TLRs for extending Teaching and Learning that you can show your mettle at?

4. sandybeach85

Many thanks. I have been asked to help a lot with the integration of international students. So, I suppose this could count towards my pastoral or extra responsibilities. I was thinking of doing an MA in Education and Leadership - good idea?

5. dts

dts Occasional commenter

I'm actually doing that full-time at the moment, taking a year out after my school closed down. I've enjoyed it - it's definitely changed the way I think and made me a bit more strategic in my outlook. I've got a job for September, and the head did say that my MSc study was a factor in appointing me, although I'm not sure how widely that would be true in other schools.

I think I would say do it if it's something you're genuinely interested in (you'll lose the will to live otherwise) and treat any career benefits as a bonus.

jvassay likes this.
  6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I would think it's a case of getting first teaching, then management experience in the sector where you want to be a head.

jvassay likes this.
  7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Could you move from EAL to SENCO?
    Then from SENCO to a role where SENCO is part of the SLT.
    Then from that to AH and/or DH.
    Then to HT.

jvassay and 576 like this.
  8. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Do you have QTS? If you don't, I think it'll be harder to rise through the ranks.

9. sandybeach85

I have PGCE. I worked abroad for several years and have job starting soon in an independent school.