1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EAL support in mainstream vs. Withdrawal dealing with disbelievers

Discussion in 'EAL' started by grdwdgrrrl, Sep 12, 2019.

1. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

How to defend my experience and expertise to my superiors on best practice. They refuse to believe and demand the continuation of withdrawal for all no matter the needs of the child and don’t think in class is better than withdrawal.

2. lardprao

lardprao New commenter

They may have their own experiences and definitions of ‘best practice’ and what they have seen working. I’d be wary if anybody came in touting for one thing over another, They’ve probably been pushed in and pulled out more times than the students they teach. They have their voice too, you know....
    https://www.researchgate.net/public...Resistance_and_the_Complexities_of_Coteaching

3. yasf

yasf Established commenter

Virginia Rojas is the doyenne of push in EAL support in international schools. See if you can attend one of her CPD sessions with some colleagues, or even better (for you) try and ask your school to book her for a PD.

4. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

I haven’t advocated for one over the other or to co-teach. It’s more about addressing the needs of the students and supporting the teachers as well. I would like more of an input into making lessons more EAL sensitive.

I have attended Ginny Rojas’s CPD, last year. It was a terrific couple of days with her and a room full of EAL nerds. I believe she’s retired from international training now. Though I know she has an online course.