1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EAL support for a very needy child!

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by RedBedHead94, Oct 3, 2016.

1. RedBedHead94

RedBedHead94 Established commenter

I'm a History NQT at a city Academy with very high numbers of EAL students. I really need some strategies for helping a child who has basically no English.

This young man is in Year 7, and can say and understand basic English, but writes at a level 1/2 and cannot read. Another child in his class speaks his home language, and he told her that he cannot read even in his home language (Romanian.) So far he has had to sit in my lessons and try to copy out the English words from the board. His twin brother is at the school and has a better grasp on English, so I also fear that this boy has other learning difficulties that have been masked by the language barrier.

The EAL department can not offer much help for me with this kid, as there are only two of them dealing with everything. As a result they focus mainly on KS4. Other colleagues have pretty much told me/other teachers to 'teach him English', but I have no idea where to start!

Tops on what to do with him in lessons would be greatly appreciated.

2. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

How are your colleagues, who teach subjects other than History, addressing the needs of this Year 7 student? A consistent approach across the curriculum will be necessary to give him the wherewithal to make progress. What is your school SENCO's take on the possibility of the boy having special educational needs / learning difficulties? It is admirable that you, as an NQT, are taking the initiative in this matter, but it is equally important that all staff work together, not just you and the overworked EAL department, for the sake of this student.

If you are looking for advice, strategies and resources in support of students with English as an additional language in the History classroom, visit http://www.specialeducationalneeds.com/home/inclusion and follow the "History" link next to the subheading "English as an additional language" under the heading "Meeting additional needs".

3. snail_friendly

snail_friendly Occasional commenter

I would also recommend using as many images as possible to help this young man make links between words.

Children learn English through exposure and so day. Y day it will improve (perhaps not noticeably at first).

If you have an email adress that you can PM me, I have a resource of teaching strategies / suggestions that I can email to you.

4. RedBedHead94

RedBedHead94 Established commenter

Thanks Snail! The site keeps crashing when I try to message you. Any chance you could try? :)

5. snail_friendly

snail_friendly Occasional commenter

I've PM'd you :)

6. JulesDaulby

JulesDaulby Occasional commenter