1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EAL resources

Discussion in 'Primary' started by michaela2020, Apr 19, 2018.

1. michaela2020

michaela2020 New commenter

Hi all, I am an NQT subbing p4. A child from Syria has recently joined my class and does not speak any English and cannot read his own language either. I have looked around for resources and have gathered a few. As more and more Syrian children are expected to arrive I would like to create a resource folder for all staff to be able to put their hand to all resources. Can anyone direct me to to really good resources which they have used or even share resources which they have found useful. TIA! X

2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

3. gerdmuller

gerdmuller New commenter

Thanks for that link to those resources.

Are the children on the government programmes with extra funding? Our local authority had a grant for Syrian children on the refugee programme which gets us extra access to EMTAS style people and more interpreter support.

4. michaela2020

michaela2020 New commenter

I’m not sure, the principal hasn’t told me this and as of yet I’ve just been left to do my own thing. I was advised to speak to the p1 teachers and they gave me some phonics booklets etc. He has learnt alphabet now and can blend some cvc words but i don’t know if this is the right approach to take and he can’t converse with me for me to check understanding etc