1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EAL Questionnaire

Discussion in 'Music' started by gupster85, Apr 8, 2012.

1. gupster85

gupster85 New commenter

I am currently doing research for my PGCE dissertation which is titled: "Is there a discernible link between English as an Additional Language (EAL) and pupil behaviour? If so, to what extent is culture an influencing factor and do schools have effective strategies to address this?" I would be grateful for your feedback. www.tinyurl.com/eal-behaviour

2. gupster85

gupster85 New commenter

I am currently doing research for my PGCE dissertation which is titled: "Is there a discernible link between English as an Additional Language (EAL) and pupil behaviour? If so, to what extent is culture an influencing factor and do schools have effective strategies to address this?" I would be grateful for your feedback. www.tinyurl.com/eal-behaviour

3. Please please please tell me that this is NOT the title of your essay. Firtsly, the title itself does not make sense. All pupils exhibit "behaviour" - what sort of behaviour had you in mind - I am not being pedantic; you are not being precise enough in you title.
    Are you asking if students who have English as a second language exhibit poor, destructive or disruptive behaviours more often than native English speakers? If the answer is "no" (which I suspect it is) then the second part of your question is redundant. However, the second half of your question indicates that you already think the answer is yes.
    I am deeply concerned about the title of your dissertation - were this an EPQ essay I would most certainly have asked the student to rethink their title and also to take a long hard look at their underlining assumptions. Your title belies some assumptions you are making -namely that it is likely that students with ESL are likely to behave poorly. You have used the very word "behaviour" in a way that is loaded negitavely (when there are lots of positive behavious that student exhibit).
    As if this was not enough, you then suggest that a student's cultural background might also bee a root cause of poor behaviour. At this point I have alarm bells ringing. Are you seriously going to suggest in a PGCE dissertation, submitted on a course for a career in a field where equality of opportuntiy and the total eshewing of racisim in all its forms, that the cultrual background of a student is more or less likely to produce poor behaviour?
    I urge you to rethink and reword this title.

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

It's also not impressive to see this same question spammed across 20 TES forums!
    It could be that this is already gupster's second attempt. Eight weeks ago he wrote:
    "Hi, I'm a PGCE student who is currently researching the difficulty of
    teaching databases at secondary school but particularly at A Level.

I would appreciate some feedback regarding what you think the most
    challenging or problematic areas of teaching databases at A Level are
    and why?

Much obliged!!!

"
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/554125/7284416.aspx#7284416
    Do these people really imagine that "research" is the process of getting other people to formulate their essays?