1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EAL please help!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by greenie9998, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Hi
    I have a new little girl in my Year 3 class with no English and a TA for 2 mornings a week. I'm finding it really difficult to keep her active and busy. Having never had a child with no English before any help/tips would be fantastic as i'm really struggling at the mo!!!
    Thanks
    C

2. Hi
    I have a new little girl in my Year 3 class with no English and a TA for 2 mornings a week. I'm finding it really difficult to keep her active and busy. Having never had a child with no English before any help/tips would be fantastic as i'm really struggling at the mo!!!
    Thanks
    C

3. Hi, what is her first language?

I am only a student teacher so not sure if my advice will be any good. On my first placement in year 2, we had a child from Saudi Arabia. I used to do little things to try and improve his english. He would hand the books out to the children and say their names when doing this. We would do the morning greeting in Arabic. I would let him play games once he had finished his work. There are some fab number and alphabet games. I used to sometimes get the other children to read stories to him. He was learning English from scratch so I would get him to form the letters of the alphabet and sometimes get him to go over one or two sentences.

4. Thank you tespat!

She is Hungarian with a short concentration span, which is to be expected.