1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EAL & MFL - anyone have experience?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by meboul, Feb 18, 2011.

1. meboul

meboul New commenter

I am mid-PGCE (MFL 11-18)and I am embarking on a special study on EAL and MFL - anyone got any experience of this? My main question will be something like 'Is it beneficial to teach EAL students a MFL?' - I need to come up with a few more in-depth questions along these lines - anyone have any ideas? All contributions appreciated. Also can anyone recommend any good books?

Thanks
    M

2. meboul

meboul New commenter

I am mid-PGCE (MFL 11-18)and I am embarking on a special study on EAL and MFL - anyone got any experience of this? My main question will be something like 'Is it beneficial to teach EAL students a MFL?' - I need to come up with a few more in-depth questions along these lines - anyone have any ideas? All contributions appreciated. Also can anyone recommend any good books?

Thanks
    M

3. Sol22

Sol22 New commenter

My experience is that those children who are here to learn English and the subjects in English should first of all consolidate their second language. There is no point for a third if they cannot cope with their core subjects first.
    This is at KS2 and 3 level, it is even worse when they go into KS4. Can you imagine A* in Fench and the rest failed? not enought English to understand the exams??? Desaster!

4. Sol22

Sol22 New commenter

disaster I mean!

5. I teach MFL in a grammar school with a large proportion of EAL students. They speak English at school, their native language at home and learn 2 languages at school. They learn languages well (particularly if they are taught in TL) although MFL as a subject is not usually valued by parents, who are much more interested in their children learning maths and sciences (to get a good career later in life as a doctor or dentist). You can't really lump all 'EAL' students together, they view language learning very differently depending on their cultural background.
    Take a look at the literature - there have been a few studies done on this subject.
    Good luck with your project.

6. It could be the one subject where they are not disadvantaged by their lack of English! Well ok, along with maths, P.E., art and music. Having knowledge of other languages and how they work can only help them with MFL, in my opinion.

7. zrcadlo

zrcadlo New commenter

Hi, I teach MFL in an English school abroad, where a v.high percentage of the students are not mother-tongue English and yet they learn all their curriculum subjects in English, and they also learn French and German. Basically nearly all my students are EAL. If that's a useful perspective for your study just send me a PM, I am happy to help.