1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EAL Help!!

Discussion in 'English' started by stewartk89, Feb 7, 2012.

1. stewartk89

stewartk89 New commenter

Hi,

I am a teacher of year 4 in a school with 50% of children with EAL so I do consider myself to have a fair bit of experience with children with little English.

A new boy has recently joined my class from Ghana and his parents tell me he speaks lots of English at home and understands it. My difficulty is that in class he either nods or says 'yes' to every question I ask him (leaving me to wonder if he is understanding the question), gets up and leaves the classroom when he pleases despite me telling him he should not do this and is only giving me one word answers.

Now I've given him a while to have a 'silent period', have a visual timetable, word fan, picture cues, word mats and I am always modelling how to speak in sentences rather than just singular words. i cant help but feel he is pulling the wool over my eyes here and trying to get away with doing the minimal amount of work possible.
    I know this sounds mean but I do get that impression. Any tips on how to get him talking and moving his work on (which i'm sure he can)??

Sorry for the long winded question just thought it better to give as much background info as possible

Thanks in advance

2. stewartk89

stewartk89 New commenter

Hi,

I am a teacher of year 4 in a school with 50% of children with EAL so I do consider myself to have a fair bit of experience with children with little English.

A new boy has recently joined my class from Ghana and his parents tell me he speaks lots of English at home and understands it. My difficulty is that in class he either nods or says 'yes' to every question I ask him (leaving me to wonder if he is understanding the question), gets up and leaves the classroom when he pleases despite me telling him he should not do this and is only giving me one word answers.

Now I've given him a while to have a 'silent period', have a visual timetable, word fan, picture cues, word mats and I am always modelling how to speak in sentences rather than just singular words. i cant help but feel he is pulling the wool over my eyes here and trying to get away with doing the minimal amount of work possible.
    I know this sounds mean but I do get that impression. Any tips on how to get him talking and moving his work on (which i'm sure he can)??

Sorry for the long winded question just thought it better to give as much background info as possible

Thanks in advance