1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EAL Guided Reading

Discussion in 'EAL' started by NingenEmpi, Oct 22, 2019.

1. NingenEmpi

NingenEmpi New commenter

Hey guys,

I'm teaching English to KS1/2 children in Hong Kong including some guided reading sessions for primary 4/5 students.

I'm passionate about reading and making the most out of these sessions (35 mins). If you have any tips regarding the sessions, struggling readers or reluctant readers I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

2. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

Great post, I’ll be following.

3. NingenEmpi

NingenEmpi New commenter

What I've found is that books that match age/theme/interest wise are just too difficult for the majority of students to read. On the other hand, leveled readers that are a closer fit to their ability are not age/interest appropriate and the students find them incredibly tedious. I'm trying to inspire them to read more not put them off for life!

4. kpjf

kpjf Occasional commenter

Can you give me an example of the books that are interesting and not interesting for them? I'm surprised you can't find something appropriate (interest and level). Aren't there graded reader editions you can buy from Oxford or Black Cat? What is their English level?

I found some of this stuff quite interesting, but it seems mainly written for native speaking children, so for me (I teach early teens) some of the sentences were too simple/short.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=who+is+books+series+for+kids&crid=5BL1BGNRJCQ2&sprefix=who+is,aps,222&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_6

Have you ever considered doing pre-reading vocab exercises to pre-teach difficult vocabulary in the chapter? I've even taken a graded reader and edited it myself and added pre-vocab exercises and comprehension questions to make it more better for my students!