1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EAL Graphic Novels

Discussion in 'English' started by mad_me, Jan 12, 2012.

1. I am looking for some research which must exist on the benefits of using graphic novels for EAL and reluctant readers as opposed to books which are simply too young. In a position where a member of SMT won't allow students to use the library for anything except fiction at set times and will not allow graphic novels: £We have plenty of fiction aimed at years 5 and 6- your EAL year 8s can read that..." I have a large proportion of EAL boys who are bright but need to be allowed to read material which interests them, is not babyish and will improve their skills. The name Sheila McCullagh is ringing a distant bell, but I can't find her research to support my position.

Can anyone help please?

2. I am looking for some research which must exist on the benefits of using graphic novels for EAL and reluctant readers as opposed to books which are simply too young. In a position where a member of SMT won't allow students to use the library for anything except fiction at set times and will not allow graphic novels: £We have plenty of fiction aimed at years 5 and 6- your EAL year 8s can read that..." I have a large proportion of EAL boys who are bright but need to be allowed to read material which interests them, is not babyish and will improve their skills. The name Sheila McCullagh is ringing a distant bell, but I can't find her research to support my position.

Can anyone help please?

3. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Occasional commenter Forum guide

Not EAL-specific but literacy:
    http://www.informationgoddess.ca/MEdCappingPaper/LiteracyComics&GNJLBiebrich.pdf

4. Thank you for that