1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EAL - French

Discussion in 'Science' started by callum_vimpany, Oct 21, 2020.

1. callum_vimpany

callum_vimpany New commenter

Hi all,

A new student has joined my class who speaks primarily French, with limited English. As she is in year 10 and we are currently working through her IGCSE Biology, she is struggling with some key terms. Does anyone have a key term glossary for French to English within their field that they could share please?

Thanks,

Callum

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

When I had an EAL student in a class I would always prep a key word list in their language for each lesson which they could stick in their book.(Google translate) Is there another student in the class who is doing GCSE French who you could buddy her with, they would both probably benefit. The school would also provide any student in this situation with an iPad so they could translate any stuff in lessons. French is not so bad. In the past I have had to do this with Arabic and Thai!

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

See if you can get a school textbook in French - won't cover exactly the same ground but will support you. This is where online shopping is your friend!