1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EAL child with Special Needs

Discussion in 'Primary' started by toniab, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'm after a bit of help/advice. I've got a boy in my class (year 1) who has EAL <u>but</u> has special needs to. The main issue is that is doesn't understand/speak his home language (Urdu) and he doesn't speak/understand much English either. Therefore he is making very little progress in any area. I've looked in various places for advice but none seems to help as all that comes back to me is that EAL children aren't special needs, which I know, but the difference is, that this boy does obviously have severe communcation problems. He's now school action plus, is on the list for the Ed pysch, and is receiving SALT, which isn't helping much! Does anyone have a child with similar problems and have any help they could offer? he can just about say some initial sounds, which he's been doing since reception and he can write his name. He can't follow classroom instructions and is very clumsy/ has poor gross/fine motor skills.
    Thanks in advance!