1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EAL child starting on Monday in my Year 1 class - any advice?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sophia1977, Jun 7, 2018.

1. sophia1977

sophia1977 New commenter

Just wondered if there were any handy tips out there for helping to settle a child to my year 1 class. He speaks no English and I'm not yet sure of his literacy levels in Portuguese. Obviously the class are prepped to be welcoming, we have learnt how to say hello in Portuguese, I have organised a buddy system for playtime etc and will ensure he knows where the main facilities are, I have some picture flashcards on a lanyard and for the classroom, and have planned in a DT session for the start of next week so we'll all be doing practical stuff.

Any other good tips?

Many thanks in advance!

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

A visual timetable can help him know what' going to happen.
    Bare in mind if he is young he may not gave attended school before, can you find out from family when he starts?
    Do you have any EAL service in your LA? You might find better bilingual helpful

http://www.betterbilingual.co.uk/2018/03/16/learning-village/

You've got the right approach in place, lots of visuals, gestures, buddy. It' surprising how quickly children emersed in another language pick it up, but there is also a culture shock if he is newly arrived here. Can he have a photo of family with him and if newly arrived maybe one of his home or town? Try to find out a bit about his background so that you can make him feel welcome.

sophia1977 likes this.
  3. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

Having an ipad near him so that you can use an online dictionary (better than Google translate) to translate key words for a topic into Portuguese. If using a core text in English, try and find out what it is called in Portuguese and see whether there is a YouTube clip of it so he gets the story before doing it in English. Pre-teach key vocabulary for any topic using visuals. Allow him to have an exercise book to jot down new English words with their Portuguese equivalent if he can read and write Portuguese. Have some basic EAL sheets ready for when he can't access parts of the lesson - numbers, colours, days, months etc. that he can complete independently.

sophia1977 likes this.
  4. sophia1977

sophia1977 New commenter

Thanks - great advice and weblink.

5. sophia1977

sophia1977 New commenter

Fab - thank you.