1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EAL Book Suggestions - quickly please!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by goingsouth, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Hi,

I am looking for decent books with suggestions for activities for children with EAL. These children are in Year 1 and Year 2 but have very little English. There are numerous titles on amazon, but I really need books with practical ideas for children with very little English.

Thanks

2. Hi,

I am looking for decent books with suggestions for activities for children with EAL. These children are in Year 1 and Year 2 but have very little English. There are numerous titles on amazon, but I really need books with practical ideas for children with very little English.

Thanks

3. Caroline Scott's book, Teaching Children English as an Additional Language, is pretty good. It's written for KS2 kids but should be ok, with some adaptation, for KS1 as it focuses on developing survival English...if that's what you are looking for. It has lesson plans, activities and resources. Or are you looking for something a bit beyond that?

4. What type of activities are you looking for?

"New to English" EAL pupils should be able to complete most activities as "native speakers" at this stage albeit with a little more guidance.

Best wishes.