1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EAL- Are they failing?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Steve5737, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Steve5737

Steve5737 New commenter

Just received 2 Latvian non English speaking children who have also lived in Italy for 4 years. The y6 pupil is now fluent in Italian . In reading, she is now deemed as developing in reading. Writing no difference. How wrong is this? Y6 SATS. Fail. Doesn't help school results either. They love our school and they add so much to us.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Is it wrong? Surely the test is about how competent at English they are?

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

They won't have to sit the tests. Children who have lived in the UK for less than two years don't have to sit them (although there can be complications if they've been in the UK just less than two years and have attended lots of schools). They're also not included in the school's test results. We have a huge percentage of EAL children (mainly from Eastern Europe) and having a child arrive in Y6 with no English is quite common. They regularly do extremely well but they rarely get to the point where they read and write well enough to be considered for the end of KS2 assessments. Thankfully the system recognises that it would be unfair to expect them to do so.

I'd agree with caterpillatobutterfly though - it would be incorrect to suggest they were anything but 'a developing reader' in English. I have a South Korean child in my class who arrived in my class last month and whilst she runs rings around the other children in arithmetic, she is only developing in reading, writing and speaking and listening -although she doing exceptionally well in terms of progress (I'm sure I wouldn't be doing nearly as well in the native tongue after two months in South Korea!).