1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EAL activities childern can independently do in the classroom

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Elle333, Jan 6, 2011.

1. With a pupil/s who are "New to English" and/or at the "Early Acquisition" stage good role modelling is the best way to help the EAL learn English.

Maths - If the pupil/s have the basics of Maths give them worksheets without any words. Gradually introducing "words" as they become more confident - same strategy as ASN pupils

Literacy - common words, memory games using common words, alphabet, magnetic alphabet for both initial sounds and names, basic reading books

Encourage "early finishers" to help/assist/read to EAL pupils.

Encourage "early finishers" to take the EAL pupil on tour of the class/school and show basics - pencil, jotter, book, door, window... Gym hall, dining hall, office, toilets.....

Talking initially is far more important than endless worksheets that may mean nothing to the EAL pupil.

Hope this of assistance to you.

Best wishes

2. I appreciate the reply but I was thinking more along the lines of things the child could do on the occasional times when there is noone available to talk with them, - something they can do completely independently, so either computer programmes or activity books.

3. With apologies I am not sure what you are looking for.

How old are the EAL pupils? How many EAL pupils?

I teach EAL pupils from 3 - 12 and have done so for a number of years now.

Best wishes. .

4. You're missing the point. I take my duty to every child seriously. The science assessment was just an example. As I clearly stated, I am looking for an activity book that a child can do <u>independently </u>when a teacher, TA or peer is not available.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Knuckles duly rapped!
    I suppose, as a linguist, I was thinking more about the child being able to show off what they CAN do rather than always thinking they can't just because of their linguistic capabilities.It's just that some teachers just presume children aren't learning just because they're not able to demonstrate their learning via English & I'm keen to encourage teachers to look at alternative methods of 'demonstrating evidence of learning'.
    Apologies if I was misunderstood.

6. invincible

invincible New commenter

Listening centre activities. Matching pics to words in cut and stick activity to consolidate vocab. Making posters with what they know on a certain theme. Cloze activities.
    I teach a class of 22 kids in Germany, 20 of whom are EAL but have the host country language. I hardly ever use worksheets and books as they really don't make much sense to these kids.

7. Ok, do you know any books that contain good cloze / cut and stick activities?

8. Hi Lizzier
    I have 3 S1 EAL children - like you when they return half way through a literacy lesson - it is finding usefull educational activities that they can pick up quickly is becoming a nightmare -
    I have printed and laminated lots of bingo games for; vegetables, people, animals etc - one child reads the names out and the other two cross them off on their bingo cards - consolidating their bank of vocabulary - this works quite well - or they play snap with pictures and words that they have learnt -

Hope this helps

9. Hello
    I hope you dont mind me asking - its been a while since your question, but did you ever find anything suitable?
    I was reading the other comments but know exactly what you mean - sometimes you just need a short activity for EAL children to work independently so that you can focus on other children too. EAL children also need to work independently for their own confidence.
    My question was exactly as yours - I have researched and am not finding anything appropriate. Did you have any success?
    Regards
    Dawn

10. I am having the same sort of issue. I have only 1 EAL child in my class and he speaks no English. I have a TA but she is 1 to 1 support for another boy in the class. THe problem I have found is if I have found something it says to use it with a TA or with other EAL children which I dont have!

help!