1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

e-safety or online safety?

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by kels6434, Jun 26, 2018.

1. kels6434

kels6434 New commenter

Hi all,

I've just left teaching and have now been appointed as the safeguarding lead in a lovely but challenging primary school. On my DSL training, it was mentioned that the term "e-safety" is should not be used any more, and that it is a big clue that a school is not up to date with safeguarding. As there was so much information to take in that day I didn't actually question it, however now I'm back at school I've seen that we have an e-safety policy rather than an online safety policy, but I before I approach the person who is in charge of this policy, I feel like I need to be able to explain why e-safety isn't the right term anymore! I've looked online but can't seem to find any information about why this is seen as an outdated term anymore. Can any one help me?!

Thanks in advance!

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Why? I can't see how the terminology used is in any way a clue that safeguarding is compromised.

The NSPCC seems to use both terms happily enough.
    Here and here

border_walker and dts like this.
  3. dts

dts Occasional commenter

I can't see that it makes any difference. It's the substance of the policy rather than what it's called that will actually matter, both for normal use and for inspection.

The comment by whoever did your training smacks of finding reasons why you need to pay them for more training/consultancy, frankly.

4. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

If it really bothers you search and replace will deal with it instantly. But don't see it as a big deal.

5. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

As the example below shows, the terms e-safety and online safety are often used synonomously.

https://www.e-safetysupport.com/stories/166/what-is-e-safety

Firstly, let’s tackle the term ‘e-safety’. This can also be called ‘internet safety’, ‘online safety’ or ‘web safety’. E-safety is often defined as the safe and responsible use of technology. This includes the use of the internet and also other means of communication using electronic media (eg text messages, gaming devices, email etc).

I think maybe the e in e-safety means it's relevant to the safe usage of electronic equipment, which may or may not involve actually using the Internet, whereas online safety implies the use of the Internet specifically.

The trend seems to be that more and more of the devices we use are connected to the Internet to some degree or other. But there are still some electronic devices which allow the user to communicate or interact with other users, without the use of the Internet. If two people in the same vicinity are sharing a game on hand held devices using Bluetooth, then arguably they are not online if they are not connected to the Internet.

I think the underlying prinicples are going to be the same, regardless of the semantics of how the policy is named.