1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

e readers

Discussion in 'Book club' started by mummy22, Mar 5, 2011.

1. I want to get an e reader but I am not sure which one to get. What are the pitfalls? i was thinking of a 3G Kindle

2. I want to get an e reader but I am not sure which one to get. What are the pitfalls? i was thinking of a 3G Kindle

3. I have just bougth a Kindle. It's brilliant. The only pitfall so far is that I keep buying ebooks.

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I love my Kindle. I've got the Wireless, not 3G, as I'm never far from a wifi connection. If I go away somewhere obscure I can always load up with books before I go.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I love my Kindles, couldn't live without them.
    Pitfall?
    The amount of time I spend surfing to find free books!

There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

6. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I love my kindle. The only drawback is that it's too easy to download loads of books that you're never going to get round to reading.

I went away for a few days over half-term. Because I've already got hundreds of books (literally) on my Kindle, I flicked through half a dozen books before I found one that I felt like persisting with. It might be that the first ones I tried were a bit rubbish, and it was only like flicking through books in a bookshop before choosing which ones to buy.
    But if I'd taken a couple of physical "real" books with me, I'd have probably put more effort in. I can think of a couple of books, like Vernon God Little, that I hated at the beginning, but thought were fantastic by the end.
    If I'm not careful, I could miss out on other good books by having so many to hand when I use the Kindle.

7. The Kindle is amazing!
    The benefits are... the sheer number of books it can store...the vast number of free books - including out-of-print treasures....the free newspapers....books that have been removed from the Kindle are easily retrieved later if you want them back....the frees samples are a great idea.....it is so portable, easy to take to hospital or on holiday, jam-packed with loads to read....it has limited internet capabilities, so I can check my e-mails.
    The drawbacks are:....ummmm I'm sure there are drawbacks.......some titles actually cost more on the Kindle (just check carefully)....I have over 50 samples and about 20 freebies in my 'Pending ' folder and now need a couple of days to sort through them! (My 'Pending' folder is for the freebies I 'buy' - and store them in that folder before deciding whether to keep them)....oh and the 'read-aloud function is so bad it makes me weep with laughter (maybe that counts as a plus-point?!) especially when you ask it to read a foreign language!

8. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

There are no pitfalls with the Kindle except the amount of time you'll spend reading books with it or reading newspapers and magazines. I've even downloaded text books to it and travel books. It is one of the best gadgets I've ever been given (the other is my iriver bought by the same person).

9. Thank you to all of you who have taken time to give your opinions. I'm going to get one now!

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You will not regret it . . .
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!