1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

E readers? I'm a late adopter.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Aug 14, 2015.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Off to Bologna and Padua in 10 days. I don't want to carry round a heavy Rough Guide so I'm wondering whether to finally give in and buy an e reader. i want to be able to use it for guide books as we walk around the cities and churches. I want it reading in bed too of course. I know nothing about Kindles or any of the alternatives. Any ideas?

2. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

Lets just make it easy, buy a kindle paper white and your sorted.

If its only for the ;rough guide' you can download a app for your phone if you have a smart phone, but once you go to ebook, a kindle paperwhite is your best option.

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Perfect! [​IMG] Thanks.

4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Now here's a supplementary. How do i set my phone to pick this up without risking big charges. Last time I switched off wi fi and 3G and just switched it on when I was on free wi fi in the hotel. I don't really understand all this malarkey but just need to know enough to join the 21st century.

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I would agree with the vote for a Kindle Paperwhite. With your guidebook app I would assume that you can download it at home while on free Wifi and access it while you are out and I have never done it. Hopefully someone else can explain how to do this and I can read the advice!

6. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I think you can download before you go, and then the book sort of sits there on your device and you can access it without having to be connected to the internet. I used to have a kindle but my daughter used it more than I did and I think the overload of peppa pig and thomas the tank engine caused it to lose the will to live, but once I've downloaded a book to my ipad/iphone via the kindle app, I can still access it without having an internet connection. The only thing I can't do was download stuff that I had previously bought but wasn't in the 'library' on that device.

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You want the app on your 'phone?

You really want to read a book on a tiny screen? I just don't understand that. I want a lot of text at a time. I'm a fast reader. Mobiles are no good for a lot of information or images.

Get the Paperwhite.

For the 'phone get on to EE or whoever provides your coverage and they'll tell you the best package for whichever country/countries you're visiting. Even within the EU the tariffs differ.

8. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Another vote for Kindle Paperwhite! Download everything you want before you go and it will be stored. You won't need to access it when you're there. Remember to take the charger! They say the charge lasts for up to eight weeks, but I reckon that's if you're reading for about five minutes a day.

9. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

GDW, I use the phone for things like checking recipes in the book when I'm in tesco to make sure I've got all the right ingredients/quantities, that type of thing. Or on the odd occasion I'm caught out having to wait for something unexpectedly, like if the friend I'm meeting is running late. Not on a regular basis when reading for pleasure, but handy to have if you want to quickly check something or as an ease for boredom when you didn't have the forethought to bring something else to occupy yourself and you're out of lives on jellysplash!

ETA: Also, probably handy if you've downloaded a phrase book for your holiday and just need to quickly check the right way to ask for something, or something like that. It's just sometimes easier to quickly look on the phone than to carry a larger device around all the time. :)

10. tidal

tidal New commenter

As I have a mere android device I have the option of downloading books in many formats and I've found that the majority of guide books come in all sorts of formats (Lonely planet guides to name but one) including my personal favourite PDF which allows me to read it on virtually any device.

Kindles are good though

11. grumpydogwoman

Well, I've got the kindle app on my Surface but I'm assuming linden doesn't have a tablet.

But foxtail has it right. Download a bunch of books to your Kindle before you go.

1. You get a whole library in your hand.

2. It weighs nothing - less even than a single book.

3. It's way cheaper to buy books via Kindle than in hard copy.

4. You finish a book (or all your books) at 1am? Just download some more.

I always said I'd stick to book-books but no. I'm a complete convert to reading on a tablet.

12. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Right, I'm beginning to get the hang of this. I wouldn't want to read a novel on my phone but to read info about a church or a work of art would work for me I think, partic if I'd already looked it up in the brick sized book back at the hotel and just wanted to remind myself of the details. I'm seriously considering the Kindle paperwhite option though as I don't have a tablet and am happy with my laptop atm.so don't plan to buy one.

13. tidal

tidal New commenter

Yep

The "horses for courses" approach works 9 times out of 10 [​IMG]

14. grumpydogwoman

The Paperwhite even shows up beautifully in bright sunlight. That's a huge plus.

15. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

You can also adjust the brightness, so if you want to read in bed without disturbing your partner, you can!

16. muinteoirsonasasta

muinteoirsonasasta New commenter

AND it turns off by itself when you fall asleep reading- as I'm prone to do!

17. muinteoirsonasasta

muinteoirsonasasta New commenter

Other pluses-

1. Trying to remember who a certain character is? You can find previous references to same by simply holding your finger on the character's name;

2. It will always be "on the correct side" when reading in bed-i.e. You won't have the problem of coping with a "heavy" side, every second page! (Guess who loves reading in bed lying on her left side!)

3. When travelling, you can slip it into your bag and you're never stuck for something to do when queuing for entry into popular tourist attractions/waiting for hubby to take just one more shot of yet another quaint village/ house/ monument/sunset/panorama/castle/mountain/ flower/ waterfall etc.etc./waiting for egocentric waiter to come and take your order/waiting for the gate for your flight to open and so on. In fact, if you're reading a really good book, you'll welcome all of these opportunities!

4. If perusing an interesting book in a bookshop, you can download it straight away! Best of all, you download a sample first, and you can make up your mind whether or not you want to get the book. (Only wished I'd done this before I purchased Tart's Goldfinch!)

When I was buying my kindle, the Kindle Fire had been just launched and the shop assistant was asking me if I'd consider it instead. I opted for the paperwhite however- so glad I did. The glossy surface of the Fire would have eventually become very annoying as the glare would have been too much for my eyes to cope with during lengthy reading sessions.

18. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Kindle Paperwhite it is!

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

19. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

OK Kindle Paperwhite purchased and ready to go. Blue Guide to Northern Italy - Emilia Romagna and Venice and the Veneto will be the first downloads. I love it already.

Many thanks for your help as ever!

20. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Now don't go mad with the book ordering on your brand-new Kindle!

Amazon has loads of offers. The best way to access them is via your computer. If you go to Amazon Kindle books Kindle Deals you can get loads of books for 99p or £1.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=amb_link_176635847_3?ie=UTF8&node=3017941031&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-1&pf_rd_r=0Y6PG7JVRWT2ZDK4N1D2&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=651889647&pf_rd_i=341689031

On the LH side menu, you can see categories to choose.

Better still, go to Kindle Books. Then just put Books in the search. You get the list of nearly 4 million books. :)

Then go to the RH and click on the Sort By options and choose Price Low to High. You'll then get all the books at £0.0

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank?keywords=books&rh=n%3A341677031%2Cn%3A341689031%2Ck%3Abooks&qid=1439719862&sort=price-asc-rank

Today, for example, on the first page this morning is this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00480O9L4/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1439719855&sr=1-4&keywords=books

Cost you £7.99 in paperbook, free today on your kindle. Download it straight away - somebody else in your family might wish to read it if you don't.

If you input kindle books public domain you get 60,000 books free, classics and other books that are in the public domain, i.e. their copyright has expired.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_26?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=kindle+books+public+domain&sprefix=kindle+books+public+domain%2Caps%2C206&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Akindle+books+public+domain

You can fill that Paperwhite for nowt!

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.