1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

E-petition

Discussion in 'Primary' started by historygrump, Sep 6, 2011.

1. historygrump

historygrump Established commenter Forum guide

A primary school teacher suggested to me that I should make primary school teachers aware of an e-petititon calling on the government to make it a legal requirement for anyone covering, supervising and teaching classes to hold QTS. This issue may not sound important if you are in a permanent post, but remember that for everyone advert for a primary school teaching post there are around 150 to 200 applicants due to the lack of jobs and too many primary trained teachers. This also applies to posts for PPA time due to the increase of HLTA's and TA's for example to cover PPA time or teacher absence.
    https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/12405
    The figures I have seen from research carried out by a retired teacher indicates that 60% of all children in primary schools do not have a qualified teacher 100% of the time. Combine this with the facts from the Dept of Education School Workforce report (2010) which revealed that vacancies in primary schools had fallen by around 500 in the period 2009-10 and the number of TA's (including HLTA's) in the period January 2009 to January 2010 had increased by 8,800 to 190,000 and other support staff (excluding technicans and admin) had increased by 2,900 to around 65,000. Although this figure includes some that will be working in secondary schools or academies, The concern most be and I will put it in the words of the Audit commission report in 2009, 'why are schools recruiting so many TA's when they face budget cuts?'
    The danger many teachers will face in the years is the lack of jobs, the possibility of them being replaced by support staff and with schools merging, which could result in job cuts among cuts. This fact may be nearer then you think, with an article in the TES before the summerbreak indicates that any redudancies, especially in secondary schools will fall mainly on the teachers. That is why we must operate the system they have in Scotland, that only a person who si qualified is allowed to be teach or cover a class and this includes PPA time. That is the aim of the petition that was set up.

2. Pageant

Pageant New commenter

Good idea!

3. Signed it...now on 149...please sign up and forward it to everyone[​IMG]

4. Please support this petition-it may affect you some time.

5. A quote from a recent advert for a primary school in Essex:
    "An HLTA reuired to teach across the whole school during PPA time and for supply cover. HLTA qualifications desirable but not essential."
    Does this mean that this school is replacing a teaching post with a member of the support staf which the DfE has stated on many occasions should not be happening.
    Last year before the publication of the White Ppaer on Education I was informed by an Education Minister via my MP that the role of teacing assistants was to be considered in the White Paper but it was not even mentioned. My MP admitted to me that he did not know what was in the Education Bill yet he voted for it just because it was government policy.
    So the government is going to continue to let anybody without formal traching training and qualifications to teach in our schools and this will only become worse with the introduction of more free schools. So it is imperative that more people sign up to the epetition before it is too late.

6. historygrump

historygrump Established commenter Forum guide

Thanks Bagforlife,
    The sad thing is that teachers either don't see the threat to their professional status, job or just don't care. It is almost if they are blindly saying it will never affect me or my job. Remember when your primary school becomes an academy under Gove policy to make all schools academies, then an academy can in theory recruit anyone they wish to teach, even if they are not qualified, because they become indepedenent schools! Also remember that the unions have done nothing up to date and some academies are now not recognising the unions, so don't expect them to suddenly respond when it may happen to you.
    Ps bagforlife I like your name