1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

e-petition -please sign it

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by historygrump, Aug 26, 2011.

1. historygrump

historygrump Established commenter Forum guide

There is now a e-petition calling on the government to make it a
    legal requirement that anyone covering, supervising and teaching classes must have QTS
    I urge the vast number of unemployed or struggling teachers from NQT's to experience teachers to sign the petition to protect our teacher status and to get schools to stop recruiting support staff to teach instead of qualified teachers. Also get your friends and relatives to sign it
    Try this link to take you directly there
    https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/12405

2. historygrump

There is now a e-petition calling on the government to make it a
    legal requirement that anyone covering, supervising and teaching classes must have QTS
    I urge the vast number of unemployed or struggling teachers from NQT's to experience teachers to sign the petition to protect our teacher status and to get schools to stop recruiting support staff to teach instead of qualified teachers. Also get your friends and relatives to sign it
    Try this link to take you directly there
    https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/12405

3. Although I strongly agree with your sentiments, you may want to consider re-wording your main line of argument - remember trainee teachers on GTP, PGCE, SCITT, RTP are all unqualified with no QTS and if your literal suggestion of must have QTS would prevent any in school training!

4. Not necessarily. Whilst on my last two placements, and especially the final placement, I delievered lessons in lieu of a supply teacher.
    It was necessary in order to fulfill my teaching timetable requirements. If the school had got a supply teacher in, I wouldn't have had my necessary percentage. Of course it was also cheaper for the school and gave me some experience in dealing with a class without the safety net of the teacher at the back of the room.

5. historygrump

The rule would not impact on a person training to teach, but is aimed at ensuring that any person who qualifies and gains QTS should be in front of the class and not any person the school feels like using. An article in the TES a few months ago on school redunancies revealed that the main people to go would be teachers and not support staff, anyone who as worked on supply will testify of the impact of schools using instructors to Ta's to teach not only on a temporary basis, but also on a permanent basis on work. In 2009 the GCTE registered 10,000 instructors and this excludes CS, TA's and HLTA's, this is while the number of unemployed NQT's is increasing. So the petition aim is to break in a rule that exists in Scotland to protect the teaching profession, because remember what Michael Gove implied in the H of C in Novermber 2010, when he said (not the exact words) ' schools can recruit anyone they feel like to teach, i.e. they do not need to hold any teaching qualification'. That is the danger all teachers are facing from NQT's to experienced teachers.
    I must admit, when i did my training, I taught one lesson without supervision because the permanent teacher covering for the regular teacher forgot to turn up, but to my knowledge, by law it is illegal for the school to put a trainee in a class without a qualified teacher (I believe it is also illegal for support staff to supervise a trainee teacher) being present. It may give you valuable experience, I agree, but could have caused you and the school problems if something had happened in the classroom. However this a prime example of a school seeking to break the rules to save money and that is what is happening in classrooms every day, the students do not know if the person is a qualified teacher or not.