1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

E-petition is now online - please sign

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by historygrump, Aug 25, 2011.

1. historygrump

historygrump Senior commenter Forum guide

It is not the title I wanted and I was forced to improvise the title and what I could write due to the site refusing to let me do want I wanted, but it is better then now't. so please sign it and get friends and relatives to sign it. I apologise for the poor title and details.
    That the government makes it a legal requirement that any person supervising, covering and teaching classes in England must hold QTS.
    It is under education

2. historygrump

It is not the title I wanted and I was forced to improvise the title and what I could write due to the site refusing to let me do want I wanted, but it is better then now't. so please sign it and get friends and relatives to sign it. I apologise for the poor title and details.
    That the government makes it a legal requirement that any person supervising, covering and teaching classes in England must hold QTS.
    It is under education

3. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

4. jmntsp

jmntsp New commenter

Thank you. Great work. I've signed it.

5. I've signed it, but that made only number 6 I think.

6. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

There's seven now, I've signed it. Might put a link to it on my Facebook page and ask friends and family to sign as well.
    There are some interesting petitions on there. Some downright silly and some actually quite sensible.
    Thanks for getting it up and running.

7. I have signed and forwarded it to a charity group that I am involved with who will in turn forward to others.

8. historygrump

Thanks

I am emailing parents outloud as well and the unions to ask for their support.
    I may have generated another 6 signatures from friends and relatives, hopefully they will keep their word and sign.
    we need to pester everyone possible

9. I think I was number 3 to sign up but let's all keep pushing this in every possible way. I am going to my local for a meal shortly (well that's my excuse anyway) and I shall be talking to staff and regulars there to try to get their support. Talk to neighbours, relatives, friends, work colleagues and explain the situation. Many members of the public do not know what is going on in schools and how the poliicians and civil servants are deceiving the general public.

10. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

With your permission historygrump I could copy your post to the "secondary stage" forum, the use of unqualified people filling teacher posts should be as much a concern to regular teachers as well as for supply/NQT/student/unemployed and potential future teachers.

11. historygrump

I have put it on the unemployed & NQT - apparently no interest, but you may copy and pace as you wish, because it is a group effort on behalf of all teachers.

12. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Done and will be sending the link to Miss Jubilee so she can circulate it to her friends.

13. historygrump

Thanks Jubilee
    I have said and I believe it is a group effort to get as many people to sign it as possible, I have emailed the NASUWT, NUT and the ATL to ask them to support it and contact their teaching members to sign them, no reply yet. But we are now on 42 after around 3 days. I am amazed at the lack of response on the unemployed and NQT forums.

14. I agree with your argument but 'the genie is out of the box'. Unions agreed to non QTS covering some lessons in return for rarely cover for permanent teachers. As a result I've just had my worst academic years supply teaching. Good luck..

15. Sewerrat

Sewerrat New commenter

Signed and fingers crossed

16. historygrump

I fear so, the teachers in permanent posts don't realise that sooner or later the schools will start replacing them with instructors, cover supervisors, hlta's and ta's because they did not get any opposition from permanent teachers or the unions, when the Ht's use the people without QTS for cover, then to teach some lessons, then when teacher X left, instead of recruiting a techer with QTS, they recruited an person without QTS and called them an instructor.
    In fact we have already seen seen teachers report how they have been made redundant and replaced by people without QTS. It may sound arrogant, in that I feel sorry, in that teachers on supply can see the bigger picture of what is going on in education and our warnings are going unheeded by the unions and the teachers in permanent posts. Permanent teachers seem to forget the new academies can recruit anyone they want to teach, because they are technically independant schools and with statements from the S of S implying that academies and schools should not be bound by pay scales and pay what they want or that they could be run by businesses and so bringing market forces into education. How many of these permanent teachers will be saying in 3 or 4 years time that they are being replaced by somebody off the street, because they are cheaper and the academy needs to save money, so they can make a profit?
    That is why I feel sorry for them, teachers and unions will strike over the pensions, but cannot be bothered to protect the professional status and jobs of teachers in England.

17. Just signed it and forwarded it too to everyone, is it on early years and primary?

18. Thanks.
    I've signed it, the 71st signatory!
    Also visit, vote and post comments on the 38 DEGREES website, the more votes the better!
    Ceck out the campaign, "The use of unqualified staff as "teachers" is totally unacceptable.

19. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Have you posted on the unemployed teachers' forum and the student teachers' one?
    Give the CS forum a wide berth!

20. I've tried to sign but having problems getting past the spam filter on my laptop - will try again from library computer tomorrow. Thanks for setting it up.