1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

e-mails blocked in foreign countries

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Newstein, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Newstein

Newstein New commenter

This has happened to me in many countries:

You take your laptop into the hotel room and log on to hotmail. Hotmail assumes that someone in that country is trying to hack into your account, and ask you for some private information like passwords that you've used in the past. I can't remember even the last one I used 3 months back!

What precautions should t take?

2. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

Get a new account and record all your usernames, passwords, answers to personal questions and keep them somewhere safe?

Aim4Jannah and Newstein like this.
  3. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

There's your problem. Time to switch to gmail my friend.

4. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

Hotmail, Skype, anything Microsoft related is a nightmare when their system makes these grand leaps of security judgement.......

Agree with the Big Frog, switch to gmail

5. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Use Chrome on every computer you have and have it store passwords for you in the cloud. Simple. Alternatively if you don't want to use Chrome there is free software that will act as a password 'bank' for you. Don't write any passwords down digitally or physically

Helen-Back likes this.
  6. GeordieKC

GeordieKC Occasional commenter

7. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

This is so annoying, I experienced this last week while trying to read my emails on holiday. Funnily enough I can access my work email which is also outlook. I decided to wait until I get back to check my emails. I always check my emails on my phone so it is odd it did not recognise the device.

8. missmunchie

9. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

If you’re going to use chrome or gmail you might as well just design your own webpage and put all your personal details and passwords publically on it. Google are the biggest harvesters of personal information out there, and there are multiple instances of even when you have rejected sharing your details they still harvest them anywhere.

I wouldn’t advise anyone to use google or chrome.

10. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

EBay did this to me recently. I haven't worked out how yo prevent it other than to just not bother with eBay when I'm not in the Uk. Unfortunately that means eBay for a week in the summer and a week at Christmas.

11. frogusmaximus

Never had much spam with gmail - had an account five year now - and pretty happy with them BUT the amount of junk I get in my old hotmail and yahoo accounts (which i keep active as that can be handy at times) is ridiculous.

Must admit though, that's a bit of a 'chicken and egg'. I try to keep my gmail clean by not making it public whereas I use yahoo/hotmail for exactly that purpose and . . . as we know they sell these addresses on which creates all that additional junk.

12. Newstein

Newstein New commenter

Good Idea. I could forward all my present emails to that new mail and continue, given the new email survives!

13. Newstein

Newstein New commenter

As far as I can remember, they (Hotmail) ask for
    1. Previous passwords
    2. Answers to secret questions
    3. Heading of recent emails
    And what else?

14. missmunchie

They ask for so much detail, it's ridiculous. I was asked for names of people in my contact list, subject of sent emails. I rarely send emails so couldn't fill out the form in as much detail as required. I was asked if I had skype, what my skype name was, if I had a subscription to any office products and what payment method I used. I gave up after two attempts. I have updated my security info as this seems to be the only way to use your hotmail account abroad. I tried to follow the instructions in the link I posted earlier but they are out of date.

15. frogusmaximus

In related news, Just went into my paypal account. Couldn't remember the password so applied for a new one to be set up. Needed to answer my own security questions to get one and 'failed'. Stumped really, answers I've known since birth and typed them all in correctly. Hmmm, so blocked from my own paypal account and of course you need to ring them 8 till 8, US time. Thanks guys.

16. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Moving house or changing details with PayPal is the most painful thing I've experienced. There are so, so many hoops to jump through that I usually just give up. Moving country is even worse as you have to set up an entire new account.

17. sazad99

sazad99 New commenter

From my experience Gmail security is much more simple. They'll send a text message to your mobile phone with a code which you enter. No need to answer security questions.

18. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I use a subscription email account that costs me 12.95GBP a year. So no problems with security as I can send them 1pound via credit card to prove its me subtracted from my next subscription. As a benefit you get ZERO spam and a sandbox to bury all the ****.