1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

E-cigarettes on prescription?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

E-cigarettes can be key weapon against smoking, say MPs

'Rules around e-cigarettes should be relaxed so they can be more widely used and accepted in society, says a report by a committee of MPs.

Vaping is much less harmful than normal cigarettes and e-cigarettes should be made available on prescription to help more people quit smoking, it said.

The report also calls on the government to consider their use in public places.
    '
    BBC.co.uk, 17th August 2018.

Just **** ***.

2. Jamvic

Jamvic Senior commenter

Who exactly are you telling to **** off here and why?

3. Vince_Ulam

The idiot MPs referred to in the opening post's linked article. E-cigarettes on prescription would be a ridiculous drain on NHS funds and are enough of a public nuisance as things stand.

4. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

thought there was some report recently about them being bad for you. Not sure how reliable this report is, https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320733.php
    https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart-matters-magazine/news/e-cigarettes
    So for someone who wants to quit they are helpful and less dangerous than actual smoking. The problem is that previously non smokers think it's safe. Personally I hate them. Having this smelly smoke/water vapour in my face isn't nice. I do hope they do not allow it in enclosed spaces.

5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

No, no and thrice no!

It took many years to turn smoking into the pariah that it is. Let these people who wish to waft this stuff into their lungs stay in the shadows and not perpetrate their vile habits on anybody else. No to NHS, no to allowing it in public. BBC said the report was not from independent research but from the vested interests. So no.

6. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

Definitely not. Just no.

catmother likes this.
  7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I'm equally or more concerned by the suggestions on the BBC website here (esp. the bit I have highlighted in bold):

Rules around e-cigarettes should be relaxed so they can be more widely used and accepted in society, says a report by MPs.

Vaping is much less harmful than normal cigarettes and e-cigarettes should be made available on prescription to help more people quit smoking, it said.

The report also asks the government to consider their use on buses and trains.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45212444

JosieWhitehead and catmother like this.
  8. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

They discussed it on Victoria derbyshire this morning, some scientist was talking about how the "vape" stuff kills cells. Is this another Gove "I do not trust experts" bit of government?

9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Which companies and MPs might benefit from such a thing?

Laphroig likes this.
  10. Vince_Ulam

Because the profanity filter doesn't filter hard enough.

11. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

They stink, they're pollution and they're bad for you (just probably not as bad as cigarettes). I'm sure it's better for smokers to suck on them, dummy-like, than to smoke a cigarette, but I fail to see why anyone else should pay except the person harming themselves, nor why anyone else should be subjected to the poisonous, foul-smelling vapour.

12. install

install Star commenter

Yes - the govt are making an error here by putting them on prescription. They simply have not been round long enough to be able to determine exactly how good or bad they are.

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Which is more costly... prescribing e-cigarettes to gradually reduce the smoking population... or the long term ongoing treatment of the various illnesses brought on by people's addiction to that weed?

If the cost of vapping helps reduce the cost of cancer treatments... I'm for it...

If it has no impact ... scrap it.

On the issue of vapping inside... I don't want to inhale the vapourous cloud of noxious scented nicotine that is your hobby. Please desist...

If I am doing something you find noxious, likewise mention it to me and I'll see what I can do.

14. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

The NHS have been prescribing nicotine replacement products for years - patches, gum etc. If vaping is more effective in helping smokers to quit then that is a better use of funds. I don't see why their use should be permitted in places where cigarettes were banned.

chelsea2 and catmother like this.
  15. install

install Star commenter

Considering the real heath dangers of vamping have not been realised it does seem absolutely daft to 'prescribe' something that may cause yet more ill health. And potentially more costs again in the long run in aftercare.

Why add another potential and costly illness to a potential cancer patient ? Have they also not been shown to be highly addictive ?

16. Vince_Ulam

An oral fixation is an oral fixation.

install likes this.
  17. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Interestingly, mainly cigarette companies.

install likes this.
  18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Camping in a van?

Sort of down market glamping? ;)

[I know what you mean]

chelsea2, Rott Weiler and install like this.
  19. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It's always disappointing to see how distracted we can get by the intrinsic health aspect of a new initiative.
    Because surely the prime motivator for this move is the predicted 40 million in taxation on e cigarette paraphernalia which is set to be levied in the immediate future?
    Who gives a stuff about health risks? There is money to be made...

racroesus and install like this.
  20. install

install Star commenter

Edit 'vaping' of course - as opposed to 'vamping' ...:oops::oops::oops:

colpee likes this.