1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

E-cigarettes not so safe after all

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

[​IMG]

Chemical flavorings found in e-cigarettes linked to lung disease

'Diacetyl, a flavoring chemical linked to cases of severe respiratory disease, was found in more than 75 percent of flavored electronic cigarettes and refill liquids tested by researchers at Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.

Two other related, potentially harmful compounds were also found in many of the tested flavors, which included varieties with potential appeal to young people such as cotton candy, “Fruit Squirts,” and cupcake.

The
    study was published online today in Environmental Health Perspectives.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration and the flavoring industry have warned workers about diacetyl because of the association between inhaling the chemical and the debilitating respiratory disease bronchiolitis obliterans, colloquially known as “popcorn lung” because it first appeared in workers who inhaled artificial butter flavor in microwave popcorn processing facilities.'

(News.Harvard.edu, 9th December 2015.)

If you use e-cigarettes, stop.

2. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

It makes sense. No smoke and all that.

Both habits are revolting. Just stop.

BelleDuJour and FrankWolley like this.
  3. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

'Popcorn lung' sounds quite a fun sort of name. They should call it 'deadly lung disease'.

4. Vince_Ulam

I'm told lung diseases are horrible things to watch in relatives and friends. I'll be letting users in my circle know of this research.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

My mother, who is 79, smoked for many years - until she was diagnosed with lung cancer just over 3 years ago and they cut away half her right lung.

This week she found out she has cancer again.

It's a horrible disease and it's clearly caused by smoking.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

My father died from lung cancer, diagnosed primarily as a consequence of inhaling welding fumes over the many years he contributed to the infrastructure of the nation. Spare a thought for him and his handiwork if you ever find yourself using a fire escape to flee a blaze.

Vince_Ulam and Noja like this.
  7. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

It's a well-written and detailed report which admits both the weaknesses and the strengths of the testing protocols and draws appropriate conclusions from the results.
    Fortunately for me the particular type of flavourings preferred in my own occasional forays into vaping have no detectable traces of the chemicals tested for so I shall wait for and consider further studies before determining what choices I shall make

8. Vince_Ulam

That can't possibly go wrong.

Middlemarch likes this.
  9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Inhaling and chemicals (other than medicinal drugs) is bound to cause problems. Stupid thing to do. IMO vapers look every bit as stupid and antisocial as smokers, although I appreciate the effects are way less serious than smoking, and e-cigs do help some addicts drop the fags. That has to be good.

10. T34

T34 Lead commenter

Not if the alternative is inhaling the smoke from smouldering tobacco!

I am glad that research is being done on vaping
    Not all vape liquids contain these "flavourings", I hope. But at present they seem to be made in either unknown factories in China or in someone's backyard shed.
    Vaping might be saving millions of lives per year, world-wide - more than the elimination of smallpox or AIDS.
    We just don't know as yet..

11. Vince_Ulam

The alternative is breathing.

Middlemarch and aspensquiver like this.
  12. aspensquiver

Vapers look more stupid. Imo. At least some smokers looked cool - well, Humphrey Bogart did anyway...

13. T34

T34 Lead commenter

The alternative for many people is the eventual premature cessation of breath and life caused by a reversion to tobacco.
    It's not what people should do that counts - it what people actually do.

14. aspensquiver

Sounds like you can solve the world's problems.

15. Vince_Ulam

If people want to actually kill themselves and others with their tobacco smoke then they shouldn't expect sympathy.

16. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

It might be, but it isn't.What it is doing is giving people popcorn lung and killing them.

17. T34

T34 Lead commenter

You think smokers are terrorists wanting to kill as many people as possible?

Perhaps they are just trying to ease their anxiety or grief or a non specific angst.
    A bit like many others who reach for the cookie jar, exercise themselves into a stupor, or go to a concert or the cinema.

18. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I feel very strongly about this, having smoked 40 cigs a day for 43 years. I gave up 13 years ago and truly believe that if I had gone on smoking I wouldn't now be here. I couldn't climb a flight of stairs without gasping and I coughed all the time. I stank of smoke and so did my house and regrettably, to my utter shame now, so did my children and their clothes. I went cold turkey on Nov 5th 13 years ago because my son and his wife were bringing their new baby to stay and said they wouldn't come if I were still smoking. Giving up was one of the hardest things I have ever done. But I did it and I am so thankful that I did. I still feel hideously guilty about what I subjected my children to for all those years. If I managed to give it up though after all those years then I feel sure it is possibly for anyone to do. Smoking or vaping- please try to kick the habit.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  19. T34

T34 Lead commenter

Apparently certain flavourings may be doing that. The flavourings are peripheral ingredients which are not present in some liquids, and in any case can be removed or replaced by innocuous substitutes.

20. Vince_Ulam

No. I think that if people want to actually kill themselves and others with their tobacco smoke then they shouldn't expect sympathy.

aspensquiver likes this.