1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

E-Cigarettes in the staffroom?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by CheesyWotsits, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Nicotine is odourless.

2. What gets me every time I hear someone complaining about passive ingestion is that no-one ever complains if the smell is nice. For example air fresheners smell nice, but are "laced" with all sorts of chemical ingredients, some of which cause irritation to the throat. We don't even know what the dangers of some of the other chemicals are because they have not been fully tested for their carcinogenic (or other damaging) properties.
    We're happy for others to use deoderant in the locker rooms too - full of chemicals, all of which we breath in.
    But they smell nice, so they must be nice?
    To be honest, I'd be more worried about the known carcinogens that are emitted from petrol and diesel fumes which hang in the air in busy town centres and which we breath in on our daily "healthy" walk to work than some puffy device.

3. My personal opinion is that the increased incidence of asthma is partially due to the increase in use of air fresheners and similar chemicals in enclosed spaces.
    I have absolutely no proof so please don't ask for any.