1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

e-books in D&T

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by Bodge-it, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Hi,
    Starting to investigate the use of e-books in D&T. We deliver KS3, five different D&T GCSE subjects and AS/A2, and I would like to support the students when not in school. Can't afford class sets of books for 900 kids so was considering starting to build our own e-library. Can anyone recommend any good resources or share their experiences.

2. that's a really good idea, I was wondering about it as well when I saw a friend with a Kindle. It would be great resource to have for the pupils but I haven't seen any advertised yet.
    It is a lot of work but you could write some material yourself and save as PDF maybe. We have a package from Daydream Education ( I don't work for them by the way) for the VLE with interactive wall charts and quizs so one of these packages or something similar might be of use to you.

3. One of my placement schools last year was starting to produce workbooks/homework books as PDFs and putting them on the schools online learning thingummybob.... It seemed to be working quite well with the Year 7s, but some of the older ones weren't paying it any attention.

4. janharper

janharper Occasional commenter

If you are planning pdf files to be read on a Kindle, work to A5 size pages, otherwise they will have to zoom in too much. You cannot change the size of the font of a pdf file. MP3 files can also be copied across and played back. I find it great for storing documents, timetable, overview of weekly lesson plans etc.

5. Spencer_DT

Spencer_DT Occasional commenter

I think this links? We have been using e-portfolios for some time now for our GCSE Res mats and Graphic Products groups ( 6 years so far) and within them contain exemplar, explanations of processes and page completion notes. We provide this via or VLE, virtual learning environment, but this could easily be done via a very simple website. Our sixth formers are then expected to formulate the framework of their own e-portfolios. Another alternative to the e-book idea is pod casting. This is something we got into a few years back and get the pupils to do the narrative. We even set up training in the local area, teaching other schools how to set up their own podcasts. I think that anything that provides a varied platform and access is a good thing and in some cases can provide a spoonful of sugar to make the medicine go down, is it weird that I sang that last bit whilst writing it?