1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

E-Bacc and creative arts. Anyone else worried?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by ellie22, Mar 5, 2011.

1. I can really see creative arts subjects slowly being pushed out. In my subject they have already limited the options choices and we have now gone from have three classes starting GCSE next year, to one. The students who have data that say they could get Cs and above in the E-Bacc subjects have been taken into meetings with the options manager and persuaded to drop Art/music/drama etc in favour of Spanish or a humanity. The result? We have lost a third of our students and the ones that remain are the bottom 30% of the year group. For a department that has not slipped below 96% A*-C in the last 3 years, this is a disaster.
    Any thoughts?

2. I can really see creative arts subjects slowly being pushed out. In my subject they have already limited the options choices and we have now gone from have three classes starting GCSE next year, to one. The students who have data that say they could get Cs and above in the E-Bacc subjects have been taken into meetings with the options manager and persuaded to drop Art/music/drama etc in favour of Spanish or a humanity. The result? We have lost a third of our students and the ones that remain are the bottom 30% of the year group. For a department that has not slipped below 96% A*-C in the last 3 years, this is a disaster.
    Any thoughts?

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Was your school previously allowing students who were capable of achieving well to drop languages and humanities completely?
    If so, then I'm afraid that it strikes me that the EBacc has actually been a good thing for your school, and I speak as someone who wholly dislikes the premise.

4. DM

DM New commenter

I can give you my experience as I completed our Year 9 options yesterday. Art, Drama and Performing Arts have not been affected but the numbers applying for Music have halved - these children have opted for a MFL instead. We are a school that has not pushed the Ebac heavily but have just made students and parents aware of its existence.