1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

E-bac - what counts as MFL?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by l0vaduck, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Thanks, that's where I got this from:
    "GCSEs in Modern Foreign Languages including Welsh and Welsh as a 2nd Language"
    My question is, what counts as a modern foreign language?<font size="3"> </font>

2. A very good question as Welsh although a modern language is not a foreign language. As certainly you can't class English as a foreign language if your first language is Welsh. I speak as an English speaker who has learnt Welsh as an additional language. This is in no way anti-Welsh.
    I think that it would be a gross injustice if only the traditional FIGS count, but for example Portuguese with 178 million native speakers (more than F, I or G) does not.

3. yasf

yasf New commenter

Did you know that there are more Portuguese speakers in South America than Spanish speakers?
    Of course, a languages importance is more than its numbe of native speakers.
    As Hindi IGCSE has also been included, I'm reckoning that virtually all of the languages will be included. French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Chinese, Hindi, Arabic, Japanese certainly. Maybe Farsi, Portuguese, Dutch, Polish, Turkish and Bengali are less likely. The more they allow, the more pressure it puts on inner city schools to offer History and Geography courses - so maybe they'll let all of them in?

4. yasf

yasf New commenter

I think the question is what the above one (the first one) means, as it has apparently been implied elsewhere that certain (community) languages won't be included. How that would be applied practically is another matter as there is no easy way of saying which ones are community languages and which ones aren't. Lots of grey areas.

5. yasf

yasf New commenter

Yep [​IMG]

6. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Ah, I see. It would seem no one knows at present, including the government. Looks like we will have to wait for a list to be published.

7. I think they are, because before the latest publication from Mr Gove, there were already rumours circulating amongst the senior leaders of our school that for example Italian was not included. I just wondered whether anyone could point me in the direction of the source of these rumours.

8. yasf

yasf New commenter

Italian was included.
    Looking at some schools' results I think that they were all included.

9. Thanks Yasf. Can you point me to a source for this?

10. WHERE DID YOU GET THAT INFORMATION?