1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dystopian films with 12 certificate

Discussion in 'Personal' started by phoebe14, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Can anyone think of any for this age group, please?

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I Robot (12a)
    Wall-E (U)
    Silent Running (U)
    Metropolis - 1927 version, or later Anime version
    Planet of the Apes (1968 version) (PG)
    Selected episodes from 'The Twilight Zone' and 'The Outer Limits' TV series?
    The Prisoner - 1960s TV Series

IMDB 'Dystopia' keyword search

3. The only 2 I can find after a quick search are Minoroty Report and Pleasntville.

4. Pleasantville.

5. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

The 1960 version of HG Wells' 'The Time Machine' is available via Amazon for a fiver. That's generally reckoned to be the first of the modernish big three dystopias along with Brave NW and 1984. Don't know what rating it had, but it appears on TV in the afternoons.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054387/

6. Farenheit 451

7. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

"9" the one with the little CGI dolls is brilliant, and down to a fiver in asda.

8. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Doesn't "Coraline" fit the bill also?

9. Thanks - some interesting ideas :)x

10. magic surf bus

As an afterthought, some of the episodes of the original 'Star Trek' were quite dystopian. Three that spring to mind are:

'A Taste of Armageddon' - where a future society has sanitised nuclear warfare into a computer simulation where people are selected as victims and are obliged to step into disintegration booths to fulfil the casualty statistics.

'Let This be You Last Battlefield' - a superb allegory on the destructive futility of racism, featuring two opposing races that are each black on one side and white on the other, but on opposite sides.

'The Ultimate Computer' - where Captain Kirk is replaced by a tactical computer that suffers a breakdown.

11. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Minority Report (certificate 12)
    Logan's Run (PG)

12. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

day of the triffids 1980s TV series - PG
    the tripods 1980s TV series - U
    A.I. - 12
    the Island (12A)
    Metropolis (PG)

most of my favourites are 15 or 18 !

13. strawbs

war of the worlds (cruise) 12A; 1950s PG

14. strawbs

blake's seven 1980s TV - PG
    various doctor who episodes from old/new who - eg "turn left"
    some eps of "Sliders" tv series
    Survivors (1970s TV series is PG - 2008 one is 15)
    Outcasts TV series on BBC at present - don't know certificate

15. Ha! I have the 'Tripods' on video! It looks a little dated now (well very according to the hysterically laughing Year 8s that I tried it out on a few year's ago) but I thought it was good in its day. I think I will probably go for AI or Minority Report. I quite like the idea of Logan's Run though.

16. Even 'Years''!
    I watched 'Outcasts' last night and thought it was quite good, although not having seen it before, I did not have a clue what was really going on.

17. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I seem to recall "logan's Run" has nudity in it.
    The young Jenny Agutter ..... phwoar!!!!

18. strawbs

Outcasts has had a panning in the media, and has been relegated from primetime Mon to night time Sunday for the rest of the series.
    However I have really enjoyed it so far, but then dystopia is one of my favourite genres!
    Make sure you get your pupils into dystopian literature as well; whilst some of it is a bit grim for 12 year olds, it never did me any harm!!

19. magic surf bus

I imagine 'Walkabout' didn't escape your attention then ;-)
    I'm old enough to appreciate the old Jenny Agutter.

20. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

She has a habit of making U certs into PG or 16 films doesn't she.....I mean, she even got her knickers out in the bloomin Railway Children!!
    I was wandering whether Logans Run is actually a PG as despite the dodgy SFX as pointed out, she gets her boobs out at the very least.
    What about 1984? Although that has full on nudity and was a 16 originally.