1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dysmenorrhea as a reason for absence?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by rayondesoleil1976, Mar 16, 2016.

1. rayondesoleil1976

rayondesoleil1976 Occasional commenter

How acceptable is it to cite dysmenorrhea as a reason for absence? I'm sure I am not the only one to have this problem and I am investigating ways of stopping this from happening. I can't take the pill or NSAIDs but the doctor I saw was looking into other options for me.

2. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

Well it's quite disabling as I've had it myself so I'd say quite reasonable. I needed to visit the loos every hour.

Mine was caused by an under active thyroid, no other symptoms present. As soon as I was put on thyroxine tablets I was cured x

3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I'm sure you've tried paracetamol. but I find it most effective if I take it before the pain starts, and keep taking it regularly until it's not needed.I can't see why it wouldn't be a legitimate reason for absence. It can be very debilitating. Can you imagine if men had this kind of problem EVERY month?!

4. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

If you're in great pain, awash, cramped crazy and feel like ****, l defy anyone to state dysmenorrhea is not a valid reason to call in sick. Just because it is a regular part of your life, there is no reason to feel guilty at having to stay home. At its peak, l could barely function. Being in pain is only one aspect of this horrible condition.

5. missteach2005

missteach2005 New commenter

I have this and it is debilitating! I have had it so bad I have had to rush to the bathroom every 30mins otherwise it would be a case of all hell breaks lose lol. I am also on tablets for this but I take them from the second day until it lets up. I also use heat packs on my stomach as well, but the pain can also cripple me were I literally just fold over in pain. I have never had the nerve to call in sick for it, but I have been close to. It is a funny one isn't it.

6. a_rooti

a_rooti New commenter

Think about the symptoms, rather than the condition. If the symptoms are bad enough to stop you doing your job then you shouldn't go in. If you were a man and had the symptoms, would you be off? I know when I've suffered with this previously I've not felt too guilty about staying off. If anyone was having crippling pain, shakes, cold sweats, the runs and vomiting, I think they'd be off. Just because it comes from something to do with our cycle doesn't make it any less debilitating.

rayondesoleil1976 likes this.
  7. rayondesoleil1976

rayondesoleil1976 Occasional commenter

Been up all night and knocked off my feet all day between cramps, vomiting, shakes, dizziness and the side effects of the pain killers. Relieved this has coincided with a bank holiday weekend. I see a gynaecologist is just over a week. I can't wait to hear what he suggests. What gets to me as much as the discomfort and debility is the sense of shame or stigma I feel in admitting to people what is actually wrong. There is no way I'm the only woman who experiences this. I'm looking forward to returning to normal in the next couple of days anyway.