1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

dyslexic and teaching

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Natty81, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Hi, e bad dyslexia
    I'm looking for some advice i'm an NQT with quite bad dyslexia and so far i am coping by the skin of my teeth.
    however after half term i am taking on two BTEC Science classes totaling 44 students different courses too. i'm just not sure how to manged the work load of marking and feedback. with my current class of 16 it takes me per night 3-4 hours to read, mark and give constructive feedback, then there is the planing for the other lessons i teach which takes another 3 hours. there have been a few suggestions given at school but none that is going to cut down the time.... i know it has to be done but i wonderd if there was any one else with dyslexia that has had this hurrlder to jump and if any one has any tips or suggestions.
    many thanks
    natty81

2. Hi, e bad dyslexia
    I'm looking for some advice i'm an NQT with quite bad dyslexia and so far i am coping by the skin of my teeth.
    however after half term i am taking on two BTEC Science classes totaling 44 students different courses too. i'm just not sure how to manged the work load of marking and feedback. with my current class of 16 it takes me per night 3-4 hours to read, mark and give constructive feedback, then there is the planing for the other lessons i teach which takes another 3 hours. there have been a few suggestions given at school but none that is going to cut down the time.... i know it has to be done but i wonderd if there was any one else with dyslexia that has had this hurrlder to jump and if any one has any tips or suggestions.
    many thanks
    natty81

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

4. anonymousarty

anonymousarty New commenter

I traffic light/WIN mark everything on the computer and then print it out and get the kids to stick it in their books.

WHAT you are doing well
    what you could do to IMPROVE
    What grade you are on NOW

You can also print off on stickers and stick it in their books.

5. What you can also do is to seet up Peer marking - especially for 6th form. Once they understand the criteria get the students to mark themselves. Certain students will FINALLY take on board what you have been saying all along when a co-student tells them the same thing. i.e. poor handwriting, poor essay structure etc. Then they give you the marks.
    Another tip is to copy good examples of work and hand those round and get the class to mark it themselves. They can then discuss what is good about it.
    One other way is to help them with the structure on the board - mindmap - whatever. Then the students write it up.
    A final suggestion is to collate all the things they do wrong (e.g. their and there [tip their = person and draw a stick man with and i as the body, there = here]) and give them that as a starter to mark. A good student could collate one for you as a starter if that helps.
    Where I am we mark each class twice each half-term. I am also dyslexic and nearly came to my knees learning how to mark so I do sympathise. Just all that brain organisation!
    Best of luck.

6. Sorry, just twigged you are marking BTEC so peer marking out. What might be an idea is to have an excel sheet with all the students names on. Each time you have marked show them where they are on the sheet. Red means they have failed, yellow OK, Green doing really well. You can programme this in in Excel. Depending on the marks the cell changes colour. It helps with self-asssessment, assessment for learning and gives students a goal to aim at.
    Also stick to marking once. Catch up marking is at the end. Really reward those who get it right first time to get the momentum going.
    Stickers sound good too for feed back.
    Contact your BTEC provider - I assume Edexcel - as they used to have an excellent grid for doing what I described above.
    Good luck.

7. HI,
    Thank you both very much for your advice
    I will give this ago.
    Thank you
    Natty81