1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dyslexia

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by grasshopper2000, Mar 11, 2016.

1. grasshopper2000

grasshopper2000 Occasional commenter

Hi just wondering if anyone can help. I'm not sure whether this can be answered, but I will give it a go.

If a dyslexic 9 year old is 2.5 years behind in spelling and 2.1 years behind in reading, would that be mild, moderate or severe dyslexia? With reading they still sound out nearly every word and can rarely read a whole sentence without at least one error.

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Well I suspect there should be an acknowledgment of how you determine this in your policy docs / assessment procedures. However from my experience mild should / could be accommodated by the QFT model ( staff making reasonable adjustments to their teaching), moderate may be accompanied by additional support and severe would need to be addressed by a targeted focused interventions / precision teaching so that the gap in attainment to which you refer is prevented from growing. The former COP would have placed this student at the old SA+ I would suspect. However the ' label ' is just a sign post- what you do about it is the important part as it impacts greatly on the student's capacity to access the curruculum. Of course the ( complexity / nature ) of the child's SpLD is likely also impact on other aspects of their performance. Am sure other colleagues will give the benefit of their expertise.

3. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

I'd have thought whichever 'professional' stated that this child is dyslexic would have also stated the severity?!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. never_expect_anything

never_expect_anything Occasional commenter

A person's "reading age" and "spelling age" does not determine the degree of severity of dyslexia; just as having low reading and spelling ages does not necessarily mean a person must be dyslexic. Difficulties with reading & spelling are not necessarily only as a direct result of the learner's dyslexia; they could have other SpLD/SEN that are impacting their development in these areas (for instance, memory difficulties could mean a student would struggle with automaticity, which would lead a student to sound out familiar high frequency words), or they could just have gaps in their learning. I know that I and others have mentioned these possibilities to you in other threads, so I assume you've looked into these, but I just wanted to point it out, as I don't think your question can be answered from the information given, as you yourself acknowledged in your post above.

Exactly what I was thinking. Not only that, but whoever assessed the child for both dyslexia and for their reading and spelling ages should be able to identify not just a standardised "age" ability (which actually mean very little in themselves), but more specifically the areas of difficulty the child has. If a professional has assessed the child, ask them for a detailed analysis & explanation of all the results. If you are basing the reading and spelling ages on assessments you have done yourself, you really need to analyse the results. For spelling, are the difficulties with spelling non-phonetic high frequency words, or with learning and applying specific rules? For reading, was the test only of the child's ability to decode single words, or did it assess comprehension, broken down into categories such as "information retrieval", "context comprehension" and "inference & deduction"?